Algae problems? Get a Court Jester (Rainfordi) Goby

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Arc Katana, Sep 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

;)...

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

There was always a debate about whether the Rainsfords were eating the algae or the bugs on the algae. A marine biologist did a wild study on them including necropsy of several specimens. It turns out that 80 percent of there stomach content was algae. Without the algae in your tank they will eventually starve.:( If I can locate the article I will post it here.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Arc can you confirm this fish was eating the red slime?
    P.S. Hector gobies will also eat algae.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

This is disappointing to find out, but I am fortunate to find out now. :-/ I want one for my 29g. Or, wanted, one. With no viable food source, I won't be able to keep a healthy Rainfords goby, making virtually pointless. :(

Will it eat pellet food or maybe seaweed strips?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Hey Seano I feel your pain. I always loved this fish and have tried a couple of times to keep them. I tried to feed them but it seems that they just have to have the filamentatious algae. My local LFS actually has one in there display and I was real curious to see how long he lasts in there.If anyone else here has ever been succesful keeping one maybe they could post there experience.:)