Algae problems and Ich

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, Apr 24, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Algae and Ich.

I'm struggling with algae. Tank is established and all water parameters good. Having said that did have an alkalinity swing last week. I do dose each day but alk dropped from 8 to 6. Then back up a to 10. At 9.8-10 for last week. Have stopped. Originally thought maybe I was dosing a little extra each time so over time it created a lot of alk.
    I run GFO on a slow tumble. I could possibly reduce tumble a little slower.
    What algae is the this below? Diatom? Thought I might have been over feeding but don't think I was. Lost my job a month ago and my tank is in my office, I spend all day in looking for work. So would grab a pinch of flake food every once in a while. Maybe 4-5 times a day, just a small pinch and all 4 fish would eat it right away. Then mysis once a day usually around 4-5pm.
    Just cleaned all pumps and circulation pumps that were covered in algae. A little algae isn't bad but I get this on sand bed everyday. Cleaned it yesterday and back this morning.
    So how do I fix this? I do regular water changes. Levels good. Run GFO. Reduced feedings.

Now for ich. The alk swing stressed my powder blue tang. I saved him a year ago from LFS with ich. Put in QT and saved. Now has it again. Couple days ago saw bumps, not white ich dots. It's been swimming weird. Been hyper and darting all over. Sometimes swim sideways. I did some water changes to stabilize alk. Think it's a combo of all that. Today 3 white spot. Ugh. I've been through this before. Setting up QT isn't not appealing. But I know how this works. I knew the risks when I got the tang. Been a great fish. Ich is so time consuming to get rid of. Fallowing alone is 8-10 weeks.
    Anyway...
    Any suggestions on algae?
    Thanks.

PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrite 0
    Calcium 460
    Alk 10
    Mag 1350
    Salinity 1.026
    Temp 80

Screen shot of water parameter graph from Aqurimate. Love that app
    image.jpg

Diatom?
    Photobomb
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

My guy with ich
    Can't see spots. Just a pic so you can see him
    image.jpg

Does have a mark on its face
    image.jpg

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I wouldn't worry to much about the ich ballgame, I would feed more algae based foods and nori and let his immune system do the rest. My hippo tang had white spots every month for years. Removing him now could be detrimental. As far as the algae goes It looks like detritus. Try letting it sit and don't disturb the sand bed to let the natural fauna do its job. Try getting a fighting conch to keep the sand clean instead of constantly disturbing it. If your not reading phosphates then take the gfo offline for a bit. I only run phosphate remover when I show a little phosphate but I never keep it going 24/7/365. Hope this helps man

Lovemyreef2015 and Ballgame like this.
  5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks. I'll try taking it offline. Guess I thought had to run it all the time. I'll try that for sure

Thanks!!

DSC reef likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's a nice powder blue!

7. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Keep in mind Powder Blues are ich magnets. They are hands down my favorite fish, but I've given up trying to keep one. I have a constant algae problem. I've done everything by the book and still have it. I'm upgrading my return pump thinking mine is not strong enough and hopefully that fixes it. I've literally taken out every piece of LR and hand scrubbed all 300lbs of it only to have most of it come right back a month later. Gotta love this "hobby"!!

8. Click Here!

9. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

when I see stuff like that on the sand it usually means for me that not enough flow is getting to thst one stop causing the algea to grow. my two jeboa wave makers are directional so it's hard to hit every single nook with them. I occasionally change the direction of them to fix the problem for a while. Same thing could be said about cynao that grows on sand beds

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Nutrients added>nutrients exported=algae. Stress and poor fish selection =Ich and frustration.:(

11. Biocube29clownanstang

Biocube29clownanstang Plankton

Hello all,.

I put in my first fish tang (dory) in my new tank yesterday, doing very well however I notice there is a single white dot on his body, should I worry or it will just comes off by itself, please help.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it's hard to say, is the fish eating and acting normally? read some articles about ich - it will help you understand what it looks like and the causes - this is an old thread - you could start your own