Algae problem

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mirosh, Nov 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Mike,
    Do you have a grainger store in town? They carry the Hanna brand along with some REAL eXpensive other types. I know you're probably not interested in the $400 guys but they have some Good ones for $86.00 with auto temp correction.
    Search for a 6KZ07
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/catalogPDF.shtml

Jim
    edit: Found This for you.
    Branch: 902
    7812 C. Georgia Ave. Nw
    Washington, DC 20012-1300
    Phone: (202) 291-8925
    Fax: (202) 291-8926
    Branch Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Jim,

Thanks sooo much for the GREAT help! I will probably go up tomorrow to pick one up and will post back as soon as I know what I am lookin at!

Thanks again for the awesome help, you really deserve some karma for that one!

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Well, I think that I may have discovered the source of the problem.

First of all, it is all my fault and I am totally to blame and feel like a moron for not figuring it out sonner.

Pretty much every one of my filters is outdated, I can tell this is the problem even without consulting a TDS meter...though now I am very curious to see the reading I get.

I currently have a 6 stage RO/DI system from Water General:

1st stage - my sediment filter (change every 6-12 months) is about 3 months past the 12 month date.

2nd and 3rd stages - my two carbon filters (change every 12 months) are about 3 months past their 12 month date

4th stage - my RO Membrane (change every 2-3 years) is fine because I have only had it for 1 year.

5th stage - my inline DI filter (change whenever TDS is high) has been brown (not green) for God knows how long.

***On a side note, can I just order DI resin or buy it from the LFS and refill whenever the DI resin turns from green to brown? What is the common lifespan on DI resin?***

6th stage - my inline carbon postfilter (change every 12 months) is 3 months past it's 12 month date.

Therefore, given all of this and my poor maintenance as far as RO/DI filter changes go (I am ashamed :-[), I am assuming that my TDS is going to be pretty much just as bad as my tap water...but I will definately test and get back to you all!

That has got to be the cause of the algae and the inverts dying, the times of filter expiration and algae blooms pretty much coincide...I'm glad I discovered my issue, I just wish I had discovered it sooner and not been so lazy! Once I get the new filters and install them I am going to be doing plenty of water changes to get my water back to normal.

Thanks for all the help!

-Mike

5. JeridJohnson

JeridJohnson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Curious as to how things turned out.. Can you post an update Mike?

Cheers,
    Jerid

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Sure,

it really was the water...I guess I was having silicate problems or something, cause once I replaced all of my filters in my RO/DI the algae started clearing up immediately! I am just mad at myself for not recognizing the problem earlier! But it is all good now, and my inverts are also doing a hell of a lot better...

Note to everyone on the boards, BE SURE TO CHANGE OUT RO/DI FILTERS WHENEVER IT IS NEEDED AND AS SOON AS IT IS NEEDED!!!

Thanks for all of the help everyone!

On another note, I am moving to Atlanta and will have to break down my tank (for the time being). I have sold pretty much all of my livestock and rock to local people on the wamas.org forum and will be heading to atlanta at the end of the month. It is kinda sad to see everything go that I have spent so much time on, but it would be such a huge hassle to transfer all of the livestock from DC to Atlanta. I will just have to start up again when I get down there...bigger and better this time!

-Mike

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Good luck with your move...You are going to love Atlanta. It is a great city. I have been here for 10 years, and I love it.

You are going to have to get an anual pass to the new GA Aquarium!