Algae problem

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mirosh, Nov 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I have some pictures of that brown fuzz algae that is present all over my rocks. They used to be nice and purple, but once I moved them to the new tank they got this brown fuzz all over them that doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Also, my back glass has a greenish/brown film on it, in the old tank my whole back glass was purple, so it is a bit odd that this tank is green/brown.

Anyway, here are some pictures...please let me know what you think it is and the causes/solutions.

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Did you know that if you search Google for "Brown Fuzzy Algae" This thread is the 4th in the list.

How long ago did you move the rock? How much water from the old system was transfered to this tank? Are you using RO/DI water when performing water changes. Have you tested your source water for Phosphates or Nitrates. What are the Nitrates in the tank? What kind of clean up crew do you have?

Sorry a lot of questions but I'm not going to suggest anything with out knowing more

J

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Thats pretty cool about google...and also frustrating because that indicates that this isnt a very common problem.

To answer your questions:

I moved from a 37 gallon without sump to a 55 gallon with 10 gallon fuge/sump about 3-4 months ago and used as much of the old water as I possibly could (so probably about 30 gallons). I top off with RO/DI water (come to think of it, maybe some filters need changing). My Phosphates are at 0.05ppm and my ammonia-nitrites-nitrate are all 0ppm.

I recently added a lot more to my cleanup crew as they seemed to have been dwindling...I currently have about 40 snails and 40 hermits, an emerald crab, some mini-brittles, a serpent star, a sally lightfoot grab, and a coral banded shrimp.

Any other issues that might be causing this? I am going to check my TDS of my input water and change filters if necessary as that may be the problem, but i doubt it...any other suggestions?

-Mike

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have actually seen Phosphates and Nitrates jump in RO/DI and as well when salt was mixed.
    So I would say you added 50% new water to your new system. It could just require more time to settle in. but that's not what you want to hear.

With the bioload you have it could be a feeding/waste removal problem. Your Tang and Angle are big eaters and big waste makers.
    Having 0 nitrates during an algae bloom unfortunately doesn't mean much because the algae could be using all the nitrates so a reading is not possible. So you could have enough nitrates to fuel and sustain algae but still read 0 on a test kit.
    I would try to remove as much as you can by hand and give it a little more time.

Then water changes like mad

J

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

OK...I guess that's the next step...gotta start removing it by hand and doing weekly water changes...what a pain in the butt, especially since the holiday season is coming up!

7. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

You think I have a large bioload? I pretty much figured that I wasn't going to get any more fish, but all I have is the two percs, 1 tang, 1 angel, 1 royal gramma, and 1 cardinal

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Re: Brown Fuzzy Algae

It's a decent load. How old are your RO filters? I think you are on to something there. How old are your lights?

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Lights are only about 5-6 months old...so i wouldn't think that is the problem, but who knows.

My filters are about a year old, so I definately need to get on that and check them out...I'm going to buy a TDS meter tonight and then possibly order new filters. Can I get a decent TDS meter at Home Depot?

-Mike

11. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Nobody knows where I can get a good TDS meter locally?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sorry, can't help there.. I bought mine online from here.