algae problem plz look

Discussion in 'Algae' started by macabe, Jan 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. macabe

macabe Purple Spiny Lobster

well im haveing a lil problem i have allmsot a full tank of live rock with allot of soft hard corals and idk y but i have allot of brown algae and green. ive ben running tank 4 3 and a half months i have a metal hawlight system actenics t5s filter system is bio balls with protein skimmer. and i run my lites from 11am-6:30pm. and the algae is covering all my rocks and the back of my tank. i scrub the sides and front but a shade of it comes back within a day. i allso have a lil bit of red algae growin on the sand but i brush it off. will this go away over time or will it not stop.i have a power head on one side. any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

Have you checked your water parameters? I'll bet your pH and ALK is all sorts of fuzzed up. Some one else can help you with fixing that, because I suck at it :(. I had your exact problem and the way I fixed it was to stop adding any livestock and put a refugium on it. A refugium is just a bio filter with loads of green macroalgae and red macroalgae. I found that the refugium cleared up my algae problems in a month or so. The green stuff in the fuge uses all of the nutrients and components that your film algae needs, so eventually it starves it out. I'm pretty sure that the reddish brown algae you see is red microalgae, and a piece of red macro will fix that too.

goodluck!