Algae out off control!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kiarah, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

oh, also, your RO water should have ZERO nitrates, not just a little.... this could be your problem.. do you buy RO from the store, or do you have an RO/DI unit.... you might need to look for a new water source. Also, you need to clean those canisters. to clean the media, just do it with a water change and rinse the media with the water you pulled from your tank. Do this AT LEAST every 3-4 weeks, if not with every water change. it gets rid of the detritis, but doesnt kill the beneficial bacteria. Then clean the foam with HOT HOT tap water very well, then rinse in RO water.

2. Click Here!

3. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

here are some more picture if anyone would like to say what they think it is!
    Thanks K

Attached Files:

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Keep your chin up! You said you are getting the Chemiclean, that will kill it. In an extreme case (as you seem to have) 2 doses may be needed. Just prior to the adding of the Chemiclean siphon out as much as possible. I have seen Cyano in many colors, yours is one of them.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

How about an up-date kiarah? I have read through your thread and it seems that you have been given some good advice. Your cyano looks like cyano. But your "feathery" macro looks like bryopsis pennata to me

6. kiarah

Hi , I really hope its not that or im screwed arent i?! ive tried to get ome more close ups but its hard as its still quite small from where my husband picked it out bout 3 weeks ago.
    The cyano yesterday had big wholes in it and was lifting right off the floor with loads off air blowing under it the i got up this morning and there was a massive clean patch! The big bit with that had lifted was gone! Is that a good sign or is that just a shedding stage? Its nice thou seeing clean gravel , its the first i have see in a long time......
    But as for the other thing shall i take the two rocks out that have it on and oput them in my QT tank till i cant get a deff what they are or shall i just bin them before it speads to my other rock?! i have a little green anemone on one off the rocks thou it would be a shame to loss him,
    Again as for the cyano all i have done so far is a water chage a week ago & cleaned my skimmer so its shinny! Im thinking bout sitting it out for a week or two more to see if the tank sorts itself out then if not do a water change & as a last resort i got a cyano liquid thats ment to be invert safe but i thought as some cyano has lifted then i should wait a little longer before using the liquid! dose that sound like a ggod plan?
    Thanks K

Attached Files:

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Again, taking rock out will not help. Cyano is a bacterial infestation. I will ask again why you are so reluctant to use Chemiclean? The big sheet lifted off and got sucked up somewhere or blown around until it broke up, that will spread and make things worse. If you won't treat your tank with Chemiclean and end this, I am at a loss and can not help any further.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I have used chems. for cyano before. Works great;D.
    As for the rock that may possibly have "bryopsis pennata",
    Yes................... Whether it is bryopsis or not. You are still in the early stages of your tank and can afford a move like this. Especially since there are no corals growing on them.
    bryopsis pennata - Google Image Search

1 person likes this.
  10. kiarah

Sorry i was talking about taking the rock out that has the possible bryopsis rocks so it dose not spread all over everything as i have read its impossible to get it out off your tank... nothing eats it nothink really gets rid off it and people have to restart there tanks as it will over run & kill your corals ect.
    I have a treatment for the cyano called ANTIRED is this any good & can anyone give me any good advice on using it?

Thanks K

11. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i still would advise cleaning your canisters. this is an EASY way to decrease nitrates. this may not SOLVE the problem entirely, but it will certainly help. I not talking about destroying the good bacteria, but getting the detritis out as i mentioned above. you would be amazed at the amt of crap that gets stuck in there and then it just sits and gets broke down, viola, nitrates! Canisters are nitrate factories if not cleaned often. i clean my canister just as mentioned above, and have never had a problem with minicycles. as long as you do it right, your golden. the chemi clean will rid the cyano, but NOT treat the underlying problem. im not trying to deter you from that route, but i would not recommend trying that as simply an easy fix without really "treating" the problem at its roots. Now you could clean the canisters, then use the chemiclean, then once all the cyano is out of sight, clean the canisters again cause lots of the cyano will get pulled into there. Do both, canister clean and chemiclean. why not?

1 person likes this.
  12. kiarah

ok i will do that but i have two fluval filters one with live rock rubble so do i just do the same with the live rock rubble? (get the sludge off with tub off tank water) im going to use a product called Antired as i can not get hold off chemiclean in the uk! I shall clean the filters as you said but the Antired says you have to remove carbon media so ill have to take that out so sould i keep the carbon in a little tank water till im aloud to put it back into the filter or just bin it & get some new as i am due a carbon change anyway? Also the other fluval i have has the carbon & rowaphos in it .... i take it its ok to leave the rowaphos in the filter while using this produce?
    And my last question is it tells you that you have to use a mechanically filter to remove the cyano what ever that means i just cyphon it out!
    so the plan is to clean the filters of slude with tank water , take out carbo, cypon out as much cyano as possible then treat tank .... then just wait i guess?! then how long before i clean filters & do a water change after treatment?
    Thanks K