Algae out off control!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kiarah, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

cyano is alway in the system. Just cause hemit crab had some on it don't mean it wouldn't have come around later or sooner.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

After reading through this entire thread I would like to make a comment that seems to have been over looked; the bryopsis. I looked at the pictures and it looks like you do have bryopsis. I had a pretty bad case and tried many ways to get rid of it. I tried raising my Mg, reduced feedings, took out as much as I could, did water changes, use ferric oxide and others. The thing about bryopsis is that it doesn't necessarily need nutrients in the water to grow, just light is enough. The way I got rid of it was to take out what I could, it actually is very difficult to remove by hand because its roots grow into the rock. After removing what I could, I covered the roots with an epoxy, the stuff you use to cement rocks together. I let that sit for about 2 months. I then removed the epoxy and haven't seen it now for about 3 months. Bryopsis is one of the hardest, if not impossible, nuisance algae to get rid of. Several people on this site have started tanks over because of it. Now, I believe it to be bryopsis, but that doesn't mean it definitely is, but I would say Im 85% sure. Good luck

4. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi , i didnt overlook it i had a look online at some pics and it looked more like feather cal .... cant remeber the name! i have tryed to take some more picture so you can see but its quite hard as i pulled aload out about 3 weeks ago and it quite small now. There are two new fresh pieces on the left hand side off the mass of it you can just make out the stalks and the side bits are so fine you can hardly see them. I really hope its not the above as i have it on two large rocks now!
    Thanks k

Attached Files:

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

does look like feather calupra but not 100% If it grew a bit more then I could be sure.

6. kiarah

i no it quite small at the mo but it did look like the two bits on the left hand side!
    here is a update on the cyano.... nice dark purple carpet with long stringy bits! HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    K

Attached Files:

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

that's a lot of cyno. If it's been going on this long something is causing it. I know others have said this too, but you need to find the reason it's growing like this. After that, it will be much easier to get rid of and keep gone.

8. Click Here!

9. kiarah

I really have no idea! it like that 5 days after i have take it all out & done a water change!
    I have checked my ro ( i swiched about a month ago from chem treated tap water) and that has 0 phos and barly any nitrate and like i said i only feed min amount every 3-4 days! what else can i check? my substrate is 2 inch deep... corals sand gravel..... just cant figure it out!! can a tank crash cause this ?
    Clueless!
    K

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Picture is blurry but never seen cyano as purple as that. It has always been red it the cases that I have seen. Clearer pic will tell for sure.

11. kiarah

Bingo ! not to sure if it def cyano! my reason is if you check the id thread there is a person on there askin whats this red algae and when they took the picture it was a purple patch like my tank & they dicribed it like mine looks a velvet carpet with stringy bits and i out back its cyano as thats a perfect match to whats at the bottom of my tank and they to got it in there tank in a simular way i did -they got a patch on there rock there coral came on and i got mine from a hermits shell that was covered in it.......anyway when i put the purple patch was cyano others said it was not and no one really Knows what it is!
    Im now gettin better pics so you can see. The stuff in my tank did have like a red tinge at first but now its just a dark purple carpet with long strings that are either black or purple.
    give me 10 mins and ill have some more pics
    Thanks K

12. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

cyano can be in all different colors i think... depends on what the bacteria is, what your lights are, etc.