Algae out off control!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kiarah, Jan 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

HUM much to my horror Its getting even worse AHHHHHHHHHH its so annoyin! my param are ammon 0 , nitrite a crystal clear 0 and nitate below 5 so im still kinda stuck on how do you lower nitrate thats not there (I no its a false reading as the cyano is munching it!)
    Hum i ts been 1 week since a 20 per water change so what next? I have or rather shal i say i had a great growth off halemeda till the cyano smothered it! the only part off the floor thats not got a thick long carpet off it is where the tunze is blowing full pelt at the b####y stuff!
    Shall i do a medium water change evry other day till i move or just leave it and keep doing a 20 per water change every 2 weeks? next moth i need new rowaphos & new carbon which runs in with when ill be moving house! thats another story on the genral thread!
    Thanks K

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

It seems you are opposed to Chemiclean. It is the bomb used by countless aquarists myself included and totally eliminates Cyano. You are stressing way too much about the Nitrates.

4. oremug

oremug Astrea Snail

I put this in the wrong thread, I meant to add to this one.

I have a cyano problem also, never had it before. My 20g is about 1year 6 months old.

I suddenly have a red slime problem, it covers the sandbed like a carpet only when the lights are on and when off at night it seems to go away. I've cut my feedings down and am running carbon and Phosban through my canister filter also run a skimmer and lots of flow with 2-powerheads. My lights are about 5-6 months old MH 150w 15,000k, Could it be the lights all of the sudden?

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

could be lights I have cyano in my sump and not my DT I run 5600k in my sump just to grow calupra and it seems the cyano loves it also.

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Have you tryed to syphon off cyano with water change.

7. oremug

oremug Astrea Snail

I tried 20% water change like every 3-4 days for past 2 weeks and no change. It seems to grow only when lights are on. It covers the sand bed and rocks on the bottom not up high and its a very deep red color.

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. let's try one more time Chemiclean to erradicate the Cyano, in the mean time cut down on the amount and frequency of feeding. If your lights are anything but T5 or Halide they need changing.

10. oremug

oremug Astrea Snail

I know this stuff will work but for a short time, my LFS always wants to sell me chemicals. I am trying to find the root problem which I know is excess nutrients, just trying to eliminate one thing at a time to find the cause. In my case I eliminated everything except the lights which I didn't think of because my Halide 150w 15,000k bulb is only 5-6 months old and I run it 7 hours a day.

11. maxalmon

maxalmon Flamingo Tongue

Bingo, great advice. But I would take some exception with the deep substrate. Again get to the source of the problem, don't try and mask the problem.

12. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Right im going to to get some chemiclean and teat the tank! i reed pellet food once a week very small amount and once a week i put 1 mussle in which i cut up so thereis a piece for my ricorda and a piece for my lobster. Other then that i dont feed. My lighting is two t-5 39 watt one white one blue and 2 led bars one marine white TMC and 2 led bars reef white ( which is a mix off blue & whites)
    Thanks K