Algae on tip of coral

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Biocube, Aug 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

yeah, I am going to try to get some interceptor from my local vet just to have on hand.

Ill look more into my corals for red bugs, my PE is still pretty good on everyone else.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi Biocube,

I will add this: My dino started by a brown algae growing strings on the tips of my corals with the formation of bubbles as the lighting period wore on during the day.

Red Bugs do not affect all Acropora equally, they like smooth skin Acropora the best. While you can see them on some Acropora you may not see them on others but all sps general benefit from the Interceptor treatment.

To see RB you really need a very close macro shot.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks Cheryl, I am crossing fingers and working on lowering my nutrient levels. I did notice my RO/DI was pumping out 25-50ppm TDS. So I swapped out my DI resign and brought it back to zero. I am proactively trying to stop/prevent any kind of algae breakout. With water changes and lowering the amount of feeding.

I haven't seen any strings with bubbles today, I'm crossing fingers. ;)

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I was going to comment yesterday about the red bugs but decided not to. Check that out though.
    Now that you say your tds were that high I would suspect silica which will cause brown stringy diatom growth and also is a key precursor to dinoflagellates which are very closely related to diatoms. Keep your pH at LEAST above 8.0-8.1 to help combat the onset of dinos.

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks for the help, I am going to do a water change and cut back my photo period. So far I haven't seen any other spots of Dino, I think I can nip this in the but early, and if all else fails I'll look into H2O2.

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Just tested Silicates and currently sitting at .5mg/l

Not really sure if that is high or not..

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Not overly high. Acceptable range is 0 to 0.5; diatoms can bloom over 0.3, so that's certainly a possibility.

Mine were at 2.3 before I realized BRS DI resin wasn't up to par for me...::)

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks for the help, what resin do you use now? I use BRS and I burn through that in about 100 gallons.

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Switched all my filters to SpectraPure, and went to their 2-stage max-cap silica-buster DI system.

Pretty convenient when they're located about 20 min away from me. :)

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Also worth noting is that if you treat with pH make sure to keep it up at all times. Even a 12 hour long drop can cost weeks worth of progress.