Algae, is this the norm?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Stingray, May 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

what about looking at Dr. Tim's products....?

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I wouldn't use any products. A few weeks after a cycle isn't a lot of time. You will go through many more variants and lengths of algae blooms. Be patient, eventually it will pass as long as your parameters are all in check.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Do you have a picture? That sounds like way too much algae so that you'll have trouble getting it out of there after the cycle. Are your lights on? Maybe turn them off while all those nutrients are in there and do a nice water change before before you turn them back on (if off). Certain algae are "cycle algae" and leave without problems after awhile. I do not consider hair algae to be a transient cycle algae.

1 person likes this.
  5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

+1 he has some bacteria supplements that can "help" with the cyno but are not needed you can get rid of it in time. Also increase the flow and remove as much as you can when doing water changes. Cyno takes way longer to go away than it does to grow.

6. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

As mentioned above, all green algae, hair etc has completelt gone, just two patches of cyano I concerned with , around 3" circles

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Ah, sorry. Reading this on my phone.

8. Click Here!

9. delor

delor Plankton

It is a long battle... Stay strong!

I battled both the dreaded Hair Algae and cyanobacteria for many months in my old 55. I tried just about every "fad" for getting rid of both, but found that time and persistant water changes (to eliminate the nutrients) were the best battle tactic. Stick with it. Unfortunately, you will probably go through several algae bloom cycles. Mine tended to be HA blooms that then used all the nutrients and then died, causing cyano blooms.

Stay strong and don't get discouraged, you will beat it if you stay diligent about doing regular "large" water changes (I would aim for about 30% every week, if not more).

10. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

I have seen something called Twinstar to be used in the aquarium to prevent the algae from occurring, but before this, you need to remove all previous algae. In will prevent new occurrence of algae into your tank.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I believe this product is only used for fresh water set ups.

12. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

I haven't tried Rowaphos but I've used Tropic Marin Elimi-Phos with good success a couple of times in the past when I had high phosphates.