Algae ID - Start of GHA or normal film?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TravisVT, Nov 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Is this just a build up of film algae? I normally scrape off the front and sides of my tank every 3-4 days(I have never scraped the back) or is the start of some really bad GHA? I have a few turbo snails that will hang out on the back panel but they dont seem to eat it. I plan on doing a large water change this weekend, should I scrape this off during that time or let it be? The appearance doesn't necessarily bother me, I just don't want an outbreak of bad algae.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like green film algae to me and I bet the snail are indeed eating it at night. Try some other algae eaters like limpets, stomatella, certh, astraea.

4. Zackaphyllia

Zackaphyllia Plankton

How long is your light cycle currently?

But more than likely it is nothing out of the ordinary, if the tank is decently new it is likely due to what i call "new tank syndrome". Many fluctuations of parameters go on during the initial months of a tank and these often lead to algae blooms that are not caused by a fault of your own. it is sometimes just nature taking measures into her own hands