Algae from feeding corals

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Ballgame, Oct 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Yes just did that! It's all out. What I'm struggling with is if I'm supposed to feed corals everyday I can't keep doing this. So something is going on or is wrong with my setup. I think yore right about cyano. But how does that just show up? I've literally had no algae for a month and then boom... Feed my corals and next day it's on sand. And each following day it's worse.

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I don't think it's cyano at all. That's not bad ballgame and for me I'd rather clean my sandbed every week then not feed my corals. I truly believe the health of my reef is due to a wide variety of food and nutrition. I like my tank mates fat and happy even it means I have to be aggressive with my husbandry. No need to feed the corals everyday. I do however feed my fish a few times every day and my corals 3 times per week. That regimen works for me.

Ballgame likes this.
  4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks DSC. What do you feed your corals? Have my acan mysis today and it are it up! I have zoa, brain, chalice, and GSP
    I need to add sand I'm sucking up so much of it ha!

5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Cyano doesn't come and go that quickly. Try not feeding at all one day. I think whether it's cyano or something else, it will still show up. Most algae or cyano is a longer term problem. I think DSC is right in not having to feed corals every day. 2-3 times a week is plenty. Some folks don't feed corals at all, though most say they grow faster when fed. I saw a post by ultimate corals that fish poop makes good coral food.

Ballgame likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I feed a lot of different foods ballgame. I have over 20 types of foods between my fish and corals. For corals I have a few types of zooplankton like reef chili, reef roids, Calanus and gonipower. I also feed frozen LRS reef frenzy, rods and Rogers foods. I also have a fresh batch of seafood I make with selcon as well. PE mysis gets used too.

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I don't feed my coral. I used to all the time. Few yrs back got cyano pretty bad and haven't feed coral since. Just fish.

Ballgame likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ocean passion

Ocean passion Plankton

If your getting tired of siphoning sand then I suggest augmenting your CUC a little bit. To help complete the nutrient cycle. Try adding a few more different species of snails than you already have or blue legged hermit crabs (they love diatoms) Different species will eat different varieties of algae.
    Keep in mind however that the nuisance algae in your tank is actually eating and using the excess nutrients you have to grow. So let it grow and find something that eats it. This will help to balance out tank parameters.

Theres alot more I could add but I'll leave off here for now.

Billme likes this.
  10. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Increase clean up crew, try reefcleaners. Slow the feedings down. Algae is something you cant get away from. Tanks need wiped clean on a daily/bi-daily basis. Part of the hobby.
    I saw on another thread that you had asked about other tanks being spotless. Thats probably because they just clean prior to taking a picture or video, atleast thats what I do.

Ballgame likes this.
  11. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Run an algae scrubber and you can feed as you want.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow dsc, do you feed yourself as well as your tank inhabitants? :) I agree with pretty much all the posts, I wouldn't feed everyday if you're struggling with whatever it is showing up right after - I might reduce the lighting period as well - if I read that right, some light is on 14 hours a day? - CUC variety is an awesome suggestion too - civic is very right in that most people do like taking their tank pictures right after a nice thorough clean up :)