Algae For dummies

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keats, Feb 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

There are some tiny air bubbles trapped here and there, but the stuff seems to come off easily. I woke up this morning to severely cloudy water, and the brown stuff just absolutely proliferated over night. I've never seen any algae (or whatever this is) multiply that rapidly. Is the cloudy water related, or a different problem? I did a water test a few minutes ago, and here's what I came up with:

Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - <20ppm
    KH - 23
    Phosphate - .25
    PH - 8.0
    Temp - 77

A couple of things I changed yesterday:
    Replaced the 4000K MH bulb with a 20,000K
    Added about 8 oz Chaeto to the fuge.
    I don't know if either of those things made any difference, but thought they were worth mentioning.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds like you've got a dinoflagellate problem. Cloudy water could be a bacteria bloom. Either way, you've got to figure out what in your water this algae is feeding on and get it out of there.

Edit: I forgot that this was a new tank so it's probable that once your water stablizes, the dinos will go away on their own. I would still take steps to lower your nitrates and your phosphates but avoid water changes as your tank is still cycling.

1 person likes this.
  4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Karma to Amcarrig. What you're describing is dinoflagellates and not diatoms. These are not uncommon to cycling tanks either.