Algae For dummies

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keats, Feb 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Just to be clear on the identification of brown diatom algae, this is what we're seeing in our tank after 1 1/2 weeks (only 5 days with fish). I have not measured any ammonia, but the nitrites are already at 1ppm. I don't have a nitrate test kit yet, but I'm assuming nitrates and phosphates are causing this? Back in the old days, I always accepted this as part of the cycling process, but this time around I want rid of it. Is this in fact brown diatom algae, and is it already time for a water change?
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

i second that!!! lol;D

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Possibly diatom algae or other type of microalgae. You don't want to do a water change during the cycling process! It won't help ya and invariably will do more damage than good! Just let nature take its course and don't try to rush things! Algae is inevitable especially during the cycling process IMO!

5. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

OK, I'll just be patient and wait on nature. I have no patience though, so this will be tough!

6. keats

keats Astrea Snail

Hey guys
    My brown algae has gone now except for a few small patches to be replaced by a very bright green algae growing on the glass.
    ?? Should i wipe off the bright green algae or leave it to go though some cycle where it goes away itself.
    I have left the lights off for the last two days turning them on only for a few hours durning the evening.
    I did have a high phosphate reading so am currently running a phosphate sponge and haven't checked since it started, going to let it run for 3 days
    as recomended
    Nitrate, Nitrate are good
    Tank is a change over from smaller to larger.
    Thanks all

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You can wipe it off the glass - might as well enjoy your tank a bit. ;)
    What helps is to squeeze/rinse the algae pad outside the aquarium into a cup or the like so that you don't just release it back into the water column.

8. Click Here!

9. Caliptratus

Caliptratus Plankton

The final is the patience but if you introducing macroalgaes (caulerpas) then they will compete against the diatom for foods (NO3 + PO4 + ...) and the caulerpa will grow proportionaly that the diatom will disappear (never until extinction).

In adition, if you increase the current flow of the pumps the diatom was incommode.
    In this way the deficit of light will help to the control of this plague.

It is my own experience.

Saludos

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Can you describe your algae? I ask because the algae in that picture looks more like dinoflagellates than diatoms. Is the algae slimy and does it blow off the rock easily? Are there air bubbles trapped in the algae?

11. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I have some of the slimey brown with air bubbles. It blows off kind of easy but there is always some left. What can I do about it? I just added cheato to my sump and Phosban to my tank.

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If your tank is relatively new, I wouldn't worry about it as it will eventually go away. If your tank is not new then you're most likely having water quality issues. I see that you're taking steps to reduce your phosphates but how about your nitrates?