Algae farm... anybody want some?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by anb, Sep 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm beat. I've got 5 or 6 different kinds of algae in my aquarium and I can only really say how 2 of them got there b/c I have not added anything to this tank (with the exception of 1 fish) for over 6 months. Bubble and bryopsis are the ones I can explain and I know how to fix. Over the past 3 or 4 weeks I've started growing some green string thing that I've yet to ID, red filamentous, another thick green almost leather-like algae I've yet to ID, and now... I've found a tiny spot of grape caulepra hiding in my zoas I've had for 1.5 years. I'm sure my spelling is awful, but at this point I'm not sure I care. I've began to hate this tank... I've been debating starting it over or throwing it out my window, but I can't. My DT only currently has a problem with bryopsis, which I'm treating, and I'm not about to take ANY of what I have in my nano over there for an even bigger problem. UGH!!! Can anyone help?

2. Click Here!

3. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Is the tank big enough for a little yellow tang?

Heidi

4. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Nope. Just 24 gal of ugly.

5. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

what are your parameters and feeding habits? what fish do you have in there?

6. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Testing now. 2 percs a bicolor blenny and a ymg

7. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

GFO or Bio pellets

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

What's your lighting situation? What types of lights, how old are the bulbs, etc.? Do you use RODI water?

10. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

amm 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, phos maybe as high as .25, dkh 10, ph 8.2 also, I feed a few pellets in the morning then brine/mysis afternoon.

Lights -- 1 150W MH 2-14k actinic, 8 hrs MH 2 hrs blues. bulbs are only 2.5-3 months old and yes to RODI. I do not have my own system, I buy from LFS.

and I only run carbon

I do a 10% WC weekly. I dare say it's been as long as 5-6 weeks I've been fighting this mess.

11. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

Do 30% water changes for a month and drop your light running time to 5 hours till it clears up and try running some bio pellets if that does work. Best of luck bud!

12. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

Will I have to worry about changing that much water causing big swings in my ph? Took me forever it seemed to get that stable.