Algae eaters that dont touch corals at all?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by nanomania, Mar 20, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Hey guys, other than turbos, im looking for other inverts and a fish too if possible that love eating diatoms and other micro algaes if any.

Do urchins eat algae too? Will they eat diatoms?

Also im planning to add a lawnmower blenny, will it nip my gsp? Coz iv heard from many that blennies nip at lps, gsp and clams etc. Especially bicolour. So dont want such fiah in my tank.

The hermits we get here are not at all reef safe, nor we get emerald crabs here.

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Cerith snails and Nassarius snails are reef safe and eat diatoms and film algae.

Urchins eat that as well as coraline algae.

I had a Lawnmower blenny for a long time and it never touched any of my corals, polyps, mushrooms, lps, sps. This includes GSP. I have actually never heard of them nipping at corals at all.

I don't know of any crabs that aren't a nuisance themselves. They opportunistic in that they will try to eat anything they can catch and knock things over. I am not a fan of crabs in my aquarium for these reasons.

nanomania likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Lawnmower Blenny's need hair algae to survive.Diatoms last a very short time so no animal is really needed. They will disappear on there own. I am not a fan of huge clean up crews. I have none in my current tank. Algae is controlled much easier by not overstocking and good husbandry.Most Clean up crews eventually starve in small systems. They will only eat certain types of algae and once it's gone they die leaving other kinds of algae to thrive. There are no majic animals that can replace good husbandry.

nanomania, dacianb, Swisswiss and 3 others like this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Nassarius snails do not actually eat any algae. They reside in the sand bed and eat detritus and leftover food.

+1 on other above suggestions.

Piano10 and nanomania like this.
  6. nanomania

7. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have not seen anything eat diatoms. They will go away with time and good maintenance.

Keeping your nutrient levels low, low fish stock, doing regular water changes, no over feeding, changing floss/socks regularly, cleaning filters etc and using good water source will help keep phos and nitrates down- which will help with keeping algaes in check.

I had a bicolour blenny, never picked at corals but food/algae off corals...great fish with personality. I've also had a lawnmower in the past...it died from not enough algae in the tank.

I personally like hermits, I find them entertaining but my favs are scarlets. They keep my tank clean but will go after cerith snails for shells...so I give them empty shells. Nassarius snails are awesome!
    I've never had an urchin but they do each algae

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

diatoms are particularly greedy of silicates

10. nanomania

Diatoms have r3duced to almost 10%. .. tanks is maturing nicely