algae domination

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mvp, Dec 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mvp

mvp Astrea Snail

what do you mean avoid a long cycle? i usually cycle my tanks for about 2 months before adding fish. also should i cycle with or without lights on?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefRaider

ReefRaider Astrea Snail

Or do something extremely simple, get a toothbrush, bucket full of clean saltwater, and scrub off the live rock in the bucket as much as you can. Get some snails, crabs, etc to take out the patches or cavities you can't reach. As for the slime, there are medications. And the medications plus powerful flow= slime x. I'll see what the medication that I use is called. When I get a chance.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I mean that if you break it down and either dry the rock or boil it to get rid of the algae the rock will need to seed again.

Cycling for 2 months is great IMO, the longer the better as far as I am concerned.

I would leave the lights out.

5. mvp

mvp Astrea Snail

thanks guys, i guess i have a big project on my hands for the weekend. also since you guys are still answering, this is really off topic but in my canister filter i have these abnormally large shrimps living in there and everytime i change the filter media they double in amount! they arent any sort of copepods or other planktonic organisms, they are roughly half an inch to an inch big and their abdomens are tucked in. so any info on this will be great as its driving my crazy

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Ahhh you have a canister filter, hence some problems with algae development.

Not sure on the shrimps though, too big to be copepods or amphipods. They must like the canister environment.

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1
    and post a pic

8. Click Here!

9. ReefRaider

ReefRaider Astrea Snail

What color are the shrimp? Clear-white? I have some weird shrimp in the back compartments of my biocube. Sometimes I spot them in the tank itself. But shrimp are scavengers, so they're probably good in you filter. Maybe keep the population under control, and once in awhile look for carcasses and remove them so you don't get nitrates. No blood no fowl. : )

10. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

You said theres tons of pods in the tank....Why not get a mandarin for the 90 gallon and have a really good pod farm already working.