Algae cycle?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by kiarah, Dec 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kiarah

kiarah Coral Banded Shrimp

Hi my tank is 3 & half months old and im getting diif types off algae. I have heard off 'the algae cycle' but do not no anythink about it! Do you think this is what im going through now?
    Thanks K:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

What kind of algae - is it hairy, slimy, what color? What are your water params? What kind of lights, and are they old or new bulbs? Also, is your tank in direct sunlight?

4. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

There's alot of different possible reason why you have algea.
    Could be phosphates, lighting, etc. What kind of algea is it?
    Shoot us a picture, if possible.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Kiarah, without sounding rude, you posted a vague question.... If you would like an in depth answer you NEED to post more about your tank...not only the parameters but what you are experiencing and so on...

Happy reefing

6. kiarah

:confused:Oh sorry!, Its just that my tank is noly 3 & half months old , has finished cycling vut now i have some different type of alge and i remember reading that after your tank has cycled you get a ' algae cycle' that sould settle down ny about 9 months but i dont no any info about the algae cycle so just wandered if you lot new anythink about it?

Tank is 3 & half months old , 68 gallon 30inch deep
    has 1 405 fluvale filter with live rock rubble filter media
    1 fluvale 305 with pho remover , carbon nitrate remover
    coral sand bottom,
    vector (the biggest noe they sell) uv sterilzer,
    octopus dual Bh 300 hang on skimmer
    over 40KG live rock
    4 x T-8 lighting 20 watt in whites & blues , pink
    i x heater
    1 pwer head for flow ( i have the 2 outlets from the filters one at the top to add air and 1 about half a foot down in the water)
    1 tunze stream flow pointing down the tank from the top which did help at first with the rusty algea but then i added the two leathers so had to point it near them!

Stock :
    2 peppermint shrimp
    1 cleaner shrimp
    2 clowns
    1 scooter blennie
    1 sand sifting star
    1 sand sifting snail
    2 turbos small
    2 bumble bee snails
    1 leather toadstool
    1leather finger
    1 button palp
    1 rido mushroom
    1x blue coloured mushroom rock cluster

params
    ammo :0
    nitrite :0
    Nitrate: 20 (am tryin to lower at the mo)
    phosphate was o.25 (but i added more pho remover and have not tested since)
    Ph 8.1-8.3 never changes really
    calcium was very high 550 about 2 weeks ago

I do 35 liter water changes every other sunday which i use a gravel syphon to stur up the sand at the bottom off the tank which im now not to sure if thats good to do or not!
    I used tap water with tectra tap purifier as our water is quite good here but have now got a ro machine to swich to which i started to do on my last water change.

The alge im gettin started as the rusty one on the floor with a green hair less coating on the glass which the turbos delt with 9need some more turbos really to keep up with it) but i thing i have a small patch off red slime algae and also on the floor ther is black/ red long strings. also a ligt green hair alge on some rocks! Quite alot of alge probs really!

Will take some pics so you can see what you think!
    Thanks K

7. kiarah

here are some pics, I did add a finger leather coral 3 days ago and it seems really pissed! its taking ages to puff back up . It was completly flat when i first put it in ther so it has puffed up a bit!. Any way here are some pics off the algae that freeking me out!
    K

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

First problem is phosphates. Probably coming from your tap water and how much do you feed. That could be an issue to with phosphates. Good move on switching to RO. I see you have a pink actinic. I could be wrong but is that not for freshwater planted aquariums. Like I said I could be wrong and I know it helps plants grow in freshwater.

10. kiarah

I dont really no bout the lights but i think they are 1 aqua bright, 2 aqua white and 1 aqua blue but one does glow pink!
    I think i was over feeding till 3 days ago i feed 1- 2 times aday with pellet food & garlic shrimp! not to sure how often im ment to feed! Im quite new at this but some food did reach the bottom of the tank but as i had a scooter blennie i thought this was ok! he he:-[
    K

11. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I only feed once every other day. I bet that's where your phosphates are coming into play and therefore feeding the algae.

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Being that your tank is still in the infancy stages of time, it is normal for you to experience the algae problems that you are seeing. Reduced feeding, carbon, weekly water changes and your clean up crew will help alleviate this scenario!
    good luck...