algae blooms?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JJK, May 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have been cycling with live rock for about 3 weeks now, and am noticing some significant algae blooms. Today I noticed that much of my rock (and some of my sand) is now covered with a new brown substance - I assume this is a diatom bloom. I am also noticing growth of hairy algae on my rocks.

Measurements as of today: Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5, pH-8.2, specific gravity-1.024. I am using RO/DI water, and have had the skimmer off, but lights on for a few hours each day. I have a 30 gallon sump with a refugium (small chaeto ball).

Do I need to do anything about the algae at this point? I have heard that the diatoms die off after a few days, but the hair algae does not. What do you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi JJK -
    The diatoms will get worse, but then they go away - once all the silicates from the new tank are used up, they just dissapear - nothing required for diatoms

as you have no higher lifeforms in there at present , I would discontinue using the lights as that will impede the spread of the other algaes

once cycle is finished - the addition of a clean up crew, crabs, snails etc - will help you deal with the controlled amount of algae you will have by this time

IME

Steve

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a phosphate reactor would help. and be a welcome addition to your equipment reservoir.
    you pretty close to the end of your cycle so keeping you lights off tell the end wouldnt really make that much of a difference.
    the diatom should dissappear with time. the hair algae you may need to take action against it. by pulling it out, raising you magnesium(thats what you do with bryopsis i assume it would work with hair too), and the phosphate reactor

edit: and of course you have a clean up crew at your disposal like steve said

1 person likes this.
  5. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep the lights off for the time being. Do you think I should turn the skimmer on at this point to reduce the nutrients in the tank? Regarding the phosphate reactor - I didn't think I had many phosphates in the tank at this point, given the use of RO water. I hadn't planned on getting a phosphate reactor (finaces limited). Would running carbon work?