Algae Bloom

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ryugraphix, Aug 23, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryugraphix

ryugraphix Astrea Snail

I was searching around on here, and found alot of good info... my tank is a little different, so I just want ot make sure everything is good.

I got 14 lbs of live rock on Friday and a pouch of bacteria to put in the tank to 'instantly cycle' it. On Sat, I picked up a true perc clown.

Today (Tues) I am noticing a lot of algae starting to form on sand and live rock.

Everyone says you get an alge bloom after your tank cycles... I'm guessing it's happening so soon becasue of the bacteria I got?

Just want to make sure this is 'normal' and shouldn't worry about it, thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

sounds about right.It'll take awhile tell the algae goes away if you don't have any problems along the way.It took me about 3 months tell no more algae

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  4. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Sounds fine to me too. Just make sure you keep up with your maintenance - water changes, testing, etc. It is critical you keep your water parameters in check if you want to be successful (happy fish, minimal algae, etc.).

5. ryugraphix

ryugraphix Astrea Snail

Awesome, that's what I was thinking. Should i get some 'clean up' crew, or another fish? How long shoudl I wait until maybe getting a coral?

Thanks a ton for all the help!

6. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

A good way to tell that your tank is ready for coral is to wait untill coraline alge starts growing on plastic (power heads, Return tube, etc) groth on glass will come later

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

There is no such thing as an instant cycle, regardless of whether or not you add bacteria to a tank. At this point, I'd leave things as they are and let the tank finish cycling. Do not add any more animals as the tank is too new and the water has a hell of a lot of stabilizing to do before it's considered fully cycled and "safe".

As for your algae, without knowing what kind of algae it is, there's no telling what you need to clear it up. IMO, the only thing that you should do now is let the tank finish cycling and the algae will disappear on its own. Once your cycle is complete, add a clean up crew to eat whatever algae is left over from the initial cycle.

8. Click Here!

9. ryugraphix

ryugraphix Astrea Snail

Ok- good info, thanks for help!

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You will need to test for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates over the next few weeks until the Ammonia and Nitrite readings are 0. I'm a little worried about your Clown fish. It could be going through a really rough time if the ammonia and Nitrite isn't 0.

Also you should expect more algae over the next 2 months or so. But it to will pass
    Jason

1 person likes this.
  11. ryugraphix

ryugraphix Astrea Snail

Ok, I have a test kit... tested it on Monday and everything was good, was planning to test again today.

12. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

If you post information about your tank ie; size, filtration, lighting People could be of more help.