Algae bloom

Discussion in 'Algae' started by reefman_MC, Apr 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I've just got an algae bloom and I haven't had one in ages. My tang and turbos and astreas usually take care of the little I do have. Could canisters getting old in my RO/DI be causing this? I have the wierdest thing. There is a patch of thick hair algae that no snails the tang or anything will touch. I've even tried starving the tang and he still won't touch it. Any ideas why?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=General;num=1083035008;start=0#0 date=04/26/04 at 20:03:28]Could canisters getting old in my RO/DI be causing this?                                                                                  [/quote]

YES! I know that one from experience. I was really mad at myself when I did that same thing on my last tank. Slacked for close to a year or more and nasty algae set in.

Funny thing is, I am on the verge of doing it again if I don't get off my butt and order my RO replacement filters. I am so dumb, it takes me a few times to learn something. ;) ;D

Thanks for the reminder!!!

(A lot of fish won't touch hair algae. I think there's some blennys and maybe a rabbit fish but I forget. But not much. And even those things will have a hard time. That and how fast it spreads are the evil thing about hair algae. ;D )