Algae Bloom (Brownish stuff) HELP!!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pdouble32, Mar 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

don't put in damsels you will not be happy with them later on it is a real waste for cycling purposes use a piece of shrimp instead much cheaper to also try rowaphos it helped make them go away for me

2. Click Here!

3. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

there's some good advice here, just let the tank run it it's course, nothing good happens overnight

4. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

+1 lengthening reply to minimum.....

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thank you , appreciated

6. Pdouble32

Pdouble32 Plankton

Thanks for all the responses.... I want to answer theses questions before I make my next decision.

1. Should I use that Chemiclean Red Slime Remover.
    2. Should I do a water change
    3. Should I just vacuum uo the algae on the sand and let the snails clean the rocks
    4. I have Emperor 400 filters and my LFS told me to take the filters that came with them out and just use this white media that has nothing in it to filter the tank. He said that the filters that are currently in there have some carbon in them and that is not good. Should I take that advice?
    5. Should I turn on the lights for a shorter period of time?

It seems like everytime I go to the store i'm dishing out money on new stuff. I was going to buy 10 more turbo snails today, but I wanted to know if those snails eat the Coriline algae as well? Something I didn't notice until last night was under all that brown stuff there is some purple growing too.. Are the snails gonna wipe out everything? Thanks in advance for the answers!

7. Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Whisky Tango Foxtrot Skunk Shrimp

Well I wouldn't use chemicals, You really don't need them IMO, everything will happen naturally... I am in your same position, My 40 gallon just finished cycling about a week ago and i have the diatoms as well, just ride is out, clean the glass and adjust water flow were needed, make sure you don't have dead spots... You should do a 10% water changed perweek... Carbon is fine but you have to keep replacing i over time.. Id just use the pads and lightly rinse them once in a while... Light wise, just the run atinic bulbs, it will limit the amount a algae that is destined to come... Until you start with corals i would bother so much with strong lighting at this time.. I run my lights for about 7 hours a day...

That is my 2 cents, and anyone please chime in if you think otherwise... I at least want to give you my opinion Pdouble... Best of luck