Algae attack and Fish are now dying

Discussion in 'Algae' started by iloveseaturtles, Aug 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iloveseaturtles

iloveseaturtles Astrea Snail

I bought an API test kit and it is very hard to distinguish between 0.0 ppm and the next level up which is .25. The scale goes all the way up to 10.0 ppm. It just looked a little greener than the light yellow of zero.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

That's what I figured. Any of that style test kit is basically worthless in the 'low' range. I have a Hanna Phosphate Checker, and even that is not accurate enough. The $200 phosphate meter is really what you need for accuracy, but I am not sure at what point it becomes worth it (maybe a fully stocked SPS tank?).

4. iloveseaturtles

Still some algae but the coral look a lot happier and so do the fish.

Attached Files:

5. iloveseaturtles

I'm sure when that makes sense either but I know I am not there yet! lol

Is that the thing that looks like a flashlight with an angled blacklight on the end that my LFS used?

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Possibly (or at least similar). See here: Aquarium Photometers & Water Testing: Hanna Phosphate Photometers

On sale for only $150 LOL. Even those are still +/- 4% accuracy. Like I said, they are definitely worth it for some people. If I had hundreds or thousands in SPS corals, I would definitely have one!

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Mini cycles occur when the bacteria colonies die and can no longer process Ammonia.;)

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

you don't need the 200 dollar photometer to test for phosphates. The handheld 50 dollar one actually works just as well. The 200 dollar photometer is an older technology for measuring with phos, The Phosphate colorimeter is alot newer from hanna so the technology had expanded they could test it this way.
    My seachem always showed 0 phos.
    my hanna test shows reading of 0.02-0.03.

10. iloveseaturtles

Another thing that might have started a mini cycle, we haven't seen a lipstick goby for a few weeks. And when taking out all the coral and cleaning it, no sign of remains.

Dead rotting fish = bacterial explosion. Right?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

More like nutrient/ammonia explosion.;) If its a small fish it shouldn't be too bad.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

There is at least 1 thread going on the Hanna Checker where Hanna admits it is only meant to give you a rough idea of your phosphate level. I have one myself and think it is fine for my application. It should be for most people as well I would think.