Algae ALREADY... Help

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Fishez, May 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I Just started my 30gal tank about 15 days ago and I already see brown looking algae growing on the aragonite substrate and on a rock "not live rock" . I dont know what to do becouse my tank is still cycling so i dont know what i can put in there to control the algae. Its only got a 15 watt sealife bulb in now , i didnt think such a low wattage bulb would produce algae that quick , I Orderd a 65 watt setup last week and now im worried about using it becouse i dont want tons of algae in my tank ... what should i do. and i would rather not use additives becouse ive heard they make skimmers go crazy, and i dont want that headache either .Can i add snails or shrimp or something into a cycling tank ?? if anybody has any suggestions please let me know .

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That happens with new tanks that are cycling, especially if you use tap water. Putting the lights on a shorter cycle for a while may help. Other than that, you just have to ride it out.

4. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I'm with Matt. You just need to exercise your patience and wait.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Fishez..

As Matt says..."Algae blooms" to be expected during cycling process (and for maybe even for while after) - something all tanks go thru...

Turn down lights and let it happen...means things are working as they are supposed to...

Don't add any critters to get rid of it until after cycle. - They will make short work of it once you can get them in.

Kind of "ugly" to look at, but is part of the "process"..

Let us know how goes - Good luck,

OmarD

6. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome to the world of salt water! Reefing takes patience as nature takes it's course, without it you will go crazy! Great advice from the gang, and yes, hang in there.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Fishez,

Have to throw my hat into the same ring. Just be patient.

If the brown stuff seems powdery and considering the age of the tank it i probably Diatoms.

So CONGRATULATIONS, you are at the very first stage.

John

ps Why not do a bit of study on Diatoms while you wait for the green algae to appear :)