Algae Algae Everywhere... and maybe an end in sight?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MoonChaser, Aug 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoonChaser

MoonChaser Aiptasia Anemone

I have started to decrease the direct sunlight by not opening the shades until closer to 10am. I have a direct east facing window, so I'm thinking that is a little too much sun as well. The exposure time hasn't increased in the last month or so either. The algae growth really started in the last month. I should also mention that July was one of the hottest months so opening my shades may have been a contributing factor. As a side note, I just got home and checked the salinity. It is back into normal range of 1.024 as well. No algae growth on the glass like I had been noticing and cleaning everyday.

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

that's good news. i would still cut back on the lights regardless. i hope it continues to improve.

4. MoonChaser

Yeah, I might be getting a little optimistic... since we just did the complete overhaul yesterday... just under 24 hours ago :) But all in all, I may be on the right track

5. swimswithsheep

swimswithsheep Flamingo Tongue

All of the levels for the things you are testing looks ok, but there may be varying levels of things you don't/can't test that could go awry. :)

Time will tell. I hope things get better for you soon.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

#1 Get a RODI from specture pure, its easy.

#2 Put your lights on a timer, have it come on a couple/few hours after you to go work and when you come home voila! Pretty tank.

#3 Reduce your photo period, you didnt mention corals, if no corals, you can cut it to a few hours like when you are home, that will cut back the algae alot.

#4 Make sure, if you ignore #1, you start using RODI for your water changes. I cant begin to tell you the intricate relationships between Ionic Ratios, but there is alot of crap in tap water that doesnt fall into the categories of NO3 or PO4 that we test. I live in a great place for tap water, Montana, but I bought my first RODI 4 months after starting this hobby, its one of the few responsible thing I have going on.

#5 Get a Mg and ALK test and make sure your levels are up to snuff. High Mg (1400-1800) has been know to inhibit filamentous algae growth, specifically Tech M. There is a debate out there whether its the Sulfate Ions, Magnesium, or undisclosed heavy metals, but it works pretty good.

7. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

What that goes through several types of filters to make it completely pure so that there are no other chemicals or minerals in it.

10. MoonChaser

The abbreviation RO stands for Reverse Osmosis and DI is short of De-Ionisation, which are both techniques of purifying, removing the impurities from, tap water so that it is suitable for use in a marine aquarium.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You could turn you lights on when you get home. Just turn the lights on when you can enjoy the fish. That's what I do. I turn my lights on around 4pm and turn them off around midnight.

12. MoonChaser

KC, I might try that, but then of course is the issue of other people. I know, I just have to tell them how it is. I'll see what I can do. I would have to have someone turn the lights on prior to me getting home however. I work until at least 730pm so that isn't fair to my fish....