Algae Algae Everywhere... and maybe an end in sight?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MoonChaser, Aug 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I would guess that is a contributor. There is plenty of "stuff" in tap water that isn't good for a SW tank.

2. Click Here!

3. MoonChaser

MoonChaser Aiptasia Anemone

Yeah, I was going to work on that. Probably turn the lights on a couple hours later for a while and see what happen.

Well, I have always used my tap water and haven't had an issue with it until about 4 weeks ago. The tank is 6 months old. Also, our water is double filtered so there is really nothing in it. It has been tested and retested multiple times.

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

In the past, I ran a tank with tap water for 18 months without any algae at all. And disregarded my brother-in-law's constant harping that I needed to stop using tap water in a SW tank. All of a sudden, BOOM! Algae came and never went away until I stopped using tap water. Mine is "triple filtered" with sediment filter, water softener, and then 2 carbon filters. TDS after that is 367. Without ro/di water you will develop issues at some point.

Speaking only from my personal experience. You may get lucky (I hope you do) and never experience the same issue.

5. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Yea I was thinkin the same thing say... 12 hours is a lot! I only keep mine on 7-8 and I haven't had any problems with algae.

6. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

What kind of water does everyone use? I use tap water with the stress coat is that bad?

7. MoonChaser

Unfortunately, when I work at least 9 hours a day and have an hour drive time, that is at least 10 hours, and I like to see my fish every once in a while, so 12 was the max that I was leaving the lights on.

8. Click Here!

9. MoonChaser

Sorry, not trying to be mean or discredit anyone's advice, but I'm not the only one who uses tap water. I honestly was just looking for a little advice on what was going on with my pretty much established tank.

10. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I agree with the tap water but to each his own. I say your problem lies there. Also make sure you have enough flow. Do you not have timers for your lights. You can get the el cheapo's from lowes so you don't have to run your lights more than you want. Help me understand this you had two recent deaths and you have bought some sort of new livestock for the tank? Or did I misread this.

11. MoonChaser

My clam died about 3 weeks ago and my urchin was gone when I got home from the tour yesterday. What I bought is not livestock per se so I don't think there will be an issue with it. Also, considering my levels are all spot on....

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but in my opinion I guess since all of my levels were on I didn't see any harm in trying again.

12. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

Also, you mentioned the two hours of direct sunlight. you might try shading that. has the exposure time increased during the summer? how long ago did the algae problem start?