Alex's INSANE shallow reef (Pics)(More pics pg2)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by norg., Nov 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nick, those pics look awesome.

Who is Alex? Everyone seems to know him, except me?

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

For the record, the tank is 36x18x9. It is lit by Chinese LEDS. Not totally sure on the brand (not that it even matters. lol). But it does have a pretty full spectrum including, cool white, warm white, royal blue, blue, red, uv and green.

He rarely deals with local reefers, for the same reasons I do. WIRS reasons primarily. lol I have some more shots Ill edit today. Im not very happy with how alot of these turned out so Ill be shooting it again in the future... Looking to try out a new lens or two, as well as lens filters to battle that LED glare... That made life really hard shooting a top down view tank....

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

This that guy in northern Ill?

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Nope. Hes in Greenfield. The Northern Illinois guy should chime in though! 3reef misses him. :angry:

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

My god that wilsoni... I am coral-blind to everything else in the tank because of it.

7. petro2342

petro2342 Astrea Snail

My goodness, what a sweet tank!! Perfect coloring!

8. Click Here!

9. Antler

Antler Plankton

This is an awesome tank, really different.

I'd like to know more about cutting down the tank. I've wanted a 33 gallon long to put a reef together for a long time but they are impossible to find used here, and the only LFS that can get them locally wants $225 just for the tank.
    I've tried to read up on cutting down a 55 gallon (same length x width as 33L) but everything I've read says its impossible to do without tearing every panel apart and rebuilding. That's not a project im ready to tackle.

10. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Honestly, cutting glass is made out to be way harder than it really is... All that it takes is a steady hand and some patience. You could get a diamond attachment for a dremel tool (or something similar) and some glass cutting lubricant (some even use water) and cut a tank yourself. I have built a handful of sumps for friends of mine and love working with glass. It really is more forgiving than you would think if you take your time.

11. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

I was actually just at my buddy Alex's place tonight. His tank looks just as good as ever. I wasnt happy with the video footage and the rest of the pictures I took... Taking pictures and video from the top down with those LEDs is very hard, lots of glare unless shot at an angle that distorts the image. Ill be back at his place to shoot it again in the near future. Hopefully with a newer and better camera. ;D