Alex's DIY Acclimation box

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by ingtar_shinowa, Oct 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

So on another thread is said flippantly, just make one real quick. Turns out there is a bit of a learning curve. As I thought about this project, I figured I had a few weeks, but alas, my LFS got a fish I wanted in, that needed a box such as this, so I began.

All weekend I had wife projects to get done, so I began Monday afternoon. I wanted to make it out of one peice and began taping out the shape.
    [​IMG]
    Then to cutting. I used a normal scroll saw with a standard blade and went slow. This part was sort of miserable but I got to here:
    [​IMG]
    I left myself a little extra on the tail to get the right deapth. Now to the BENDING. I used a cheap heat gun from Lowes, patience, and some small board to make good corners:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    And after a bit of molding I get the box:
    [​IMG]
    It does how ever still need a lid. So I cut and tape another peice and get to bending it. This is where I made my first mistake. I was leaving the protective film on an removing when finished, so a bit was left in the corners:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it is after fabrication, all I need left to do is drill holes.
    [​IMG]
    Drilling holes is horrible. Go slow, use low speed, and light pressure or THIS HAPPENS RAWRRRRRR
    [​IMG]
    But my wife glued it and reminded me, its not like its going to be seen for long, it doesn't need to be pretty.

So here we are, holes drilled, gaps between the walls are too small for fish but let in extra flow, and zip ties for the hinges.
    [​IMG]
    And in my tank with a fish. Thank you Hunter for the pressure to acclimate right!
    [​IMG]

Video of the new fish.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Looking good, Alex!! Where is the fish??????

4. ingtar_shinowa

5. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

Nice, looks good. That sucks it cracked. What type of drill did you use?

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Umm, cool fish???lol. So would you do it again this way? Looks like a neat PITA project. I need one in case I ever add another fish, mine have all made themselves at home and I don't think a new guy would be that welcome.

What did you use for material? the cheap plexiglass?

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Whoa!!!!

Does it come with the cat? ;)

Nice looking box, perhaps I might need to build one for fun in the upcoming winter months.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

It looks very good! I think your cat likes it as well :lol:

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Will the cat fit in the box?

Lol,Looks great Alex and couldn't agree more on stressing the importance of drilling slow and lightly.

Just got my first frag rack the other day that holds 11 frags,I ended up with 13 frags,there was enough room on the rack to make a few more holes.First attempt with a brand new drill bit,as soon as I applied just the slightest pressure,split it right in two-GGGRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!

11. ingtar_shinowa

I'll give everyone one Guess and come clean if they get it right, and if my video gets to 12 votes lol.
    I used a handheld drill. I think a drill press would work better.
    Great questions Ryan. No, I would make all my drill holes while it was flat, and I might actually make it out of straight pieces instead of bending. That way if a peice break it doesn't affect the rest of the product. I used cheap Lowes Acrylic.
    No he is MY cat Chris.
    He likes everything I do
    I hear you bud I can't believe how easy it is to crack. Well I got good at it.

1 person likes this.
  12. ingtar_shinowa

Update: I didn't like how the Fish was looking, figured too low flow and low O2 levels, rigged up a spare aqualifter to do a closed loop system. MY FIRST CLOSED LOOP! I'm such a pro. Anyway he looks great now.

After he is in the DT I'm going to use the multi tool to cut away windows in the side and silicone in a BRS mesh window for better flow.