Air Stone in Tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Ever since reading - (03-05-2008, 06:32 AM ) RIP to my tangs by "Executivelevel," I have been much thinking about the possibility of losing a skimmer or return pump for period of time without knowing or noticing, resulting in a major tank disaster.

It is not a matter of "if" they fail, but "when." Someday they will, if not not regularly maintained or even replaced over time. Depending on failure time, it may not be recognized for a considerable period.

And as Tangster says, it is almost guaranteed a failure will occur at most inconvenient time - holiday, weekend, LFS on vacation...etc. - (have backup, or at least backup impellers!)

A power failure is a fairly predictable occurrence and can be anticipated and prepared for.

But a pump failure - :huh2:

Given that I want to take every precaution possible to protect my tanks and their inhabitants from any possible adverse contingency that I can control, (of which there are many, as opposed to few I can't) - I will take any action I can think of, no matter how minimal, that may provide an extra margin of "insurance" for my reefs.

In each tank I have emergency poweroff battery operated air pumps to help protect tank oxygen levels in event of a power failure till I can get backup system in place.

I have also run a air stone full time in sump and in rear chamber of Nano for extra aeration, if needed or not. (believe it saved much of my livestock in a overtemp problem in main tank recently)

:idea2:

So based on above mentioned post, thought comes to me, why not run air stone in main display in both large tank and Nano instead of sump or in rear chamber???

Have rarely have heard this mentioned, the benefits seem obvious to me.

As long as I am running them anyway, why not put them in place where they may help save tank till I can get to it if a pump fails.

Also after doing so, I noticed a visible increase in water clarity level.

(My skunk cleaner shrimp loves playing in and riding up and down in "bubbles")

Placed in rear of tank, it in no way appears obtrusive or visually distracting.

Especially important in Nano as it is covered, and I have no skimmer and little faith in the wimpy pump it comes with to operate reliably for long period, outport sometimes plugs and have always questioned if there is enough aeration going on in tank, hence why I added air stone to rear chamber when first starting up. - would do no good if any of the above events occur.

So for me, was simply moving location of air stone.

Only adverse reasons for doing so I can think of:

Takes a small investment in pumps.
    Minor increase in electricity demand.
    Maybe some salt creep if located directly under low light.
    Some tank keepers may think looks "unnatural" - (I could care less - :p -if it serves a valid purpose)

Benefits:

May save tank and everything in it in event of pump failure.
    Increased water clarity.
    Extra aeration, if needed or not. (can't hurt)
    Helps eliminate "surface scum"

Up to you, but my advice is add an air stone to main display.

"Whisper" air pumps are both very quiet and cheap at local Petco.

"Whisper Air Pump"​

[​IMG]

The unique patented dome shape actually flattens sound waves, while thick walls, noise dampening chambers, wide rubber feet and a suspended pump motor make the Whisper air pump among the quietest on the market. All this while the pump's diaphragm produces the considerable air flow needed to drive sponge, undergravel and internal filters, protein skimmers and action ornaments.

Life insurance for your fish- the bubbles go ON when the power goes OFF! This battery powered air pump is a must for your precious aquarium fish. The pump automatically turns on when it detects no A.C. electricity, providing your fish with life-saving aeration during a power-outage.

($9.89 at AquariumGuys)

(I have one of these in both Main and Nano Tanks)

Provide all the protection you can, and hopefully the great Reef God will provide the rest...

Rgds,

Scott

;D

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I run 6 stones off two pumps in my setup. 4 stones in the sump and two in a specimen container I let Ca reactor discharge into to help blow off CO2. The only problem I see with running it in your display is the water splash from bubbles popping at the surface. You will have salt creap all over everything close. With regular maintenance you should be ok but I would keep an eye on it.

I would have bubbles all over my tank if I let one run in the display. CL and WavySea would throw them everywhere. :p

1 person likes this.
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Can see possible problem.

I have air stone bubbles coming up just behind return outlflow, so bubbles get to surface before being spread around tank.

Yep, saltcreep will be issue I will have to keep eye on.

Rgds,

Scott

1 person likes this.
  5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Moreover, air bubbles --> skimming --> gunk on the surface of the water!

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

If the bubble go directly to the surface, it is really not improving air in the water. It is creating more air in the water due to surface gas exchange but if you where to loose a pump that surface air would not be driven through out the tank.
    If you've ever seen a tank that is experiencing low O2 usually all the fish are at the bottom. The key to keeping O2 in you water through out the tank is circulation. It would be better to invest in a back up that would help water movement IMO.

I ran my 75G for 2 weeks without a sump. So no return no skimmer. the O2 levels never dropped. Because of the power head moving water around allowing the water at the surface to exchange gases and then move through out the tank.

J

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Good point...been looking for good excuse to add a Koralia ph (ever since losing out on one in 3Reef contest - :p) -will start doing some internet shopping immediatly.

In my case, moving airstones to main displays adds too many benefits to keep where they were previously located.

Rgds,

Scott

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ohhh,

Nice sale on at DFS right now...

Hydor Koralia Water Circulation Pumps

[​IMG]

Koralia Water Circulation Pumps

CD-32908 Nano [STRIKE]$34.99 [/STRIKE]$26.19

CD-29128 Pump 1 [STRIKE]$37.99[/STRIKE] $28.49

CD-29129 Pump 2 [STRIKE]$44.99[/STRIKE] $33.69

CD-29130 Pump 3 [STRIKE]$49.99 [/STRIKE]$37.49

CD-29131 Pump 4 [STRIKE]$59.99 [/STRIKE]$44.99

Now just have to decide what one, or combination of above I want.

Will get with next salt order to reduce shipping charges...

:( Currently no DFS coupon codes in effect.

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Question: I have an air pump I'm going to hook to my skimmer when I get it running. I went ahead and bought one with 2 ports. Could I throw a stone in my filter to help with oxygen?? I have a hang on filter for now and it would be my only resort to throwing a stone in the tank. I don't see why it wouldn't help out a lot, any comments/suggestions??

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Bryce I don't think it would be needed the way your tank is now. With two fish and the surface agitation you're getting from the HOB filter that would be enough. When you get the skimmer going it's just going to help.

Once you get to that stage and get some more life in there it will be time to switch to that wet dry and you can just throw it in there.

Just a thught. I'm sure Otty or someone will chime in.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Who do you think you are, giving advice!!;D
    I know I'm fine for now, just figured it wouldn't hurt... I can wait though. After ordering my lights it might be a bit for fuge, wet/dry etc...:-/ but you know me I'll suck it up and drop the dough sooner than my checkbook says I should!!

Thanks buddy, any other opinions would be appreciated also!!

Now get back to work Ogle!;D