Air bubble in overflow u-tube.. DIY Fixes?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Aqualung, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yea If my pump were more powerful I wouldn't have this prob.. Maybe I'll disconnect my chiller for less head and more flow.. otherwise a smaller tube will get rid of this problem. I really don't want to do the aqualifter thing or a powerhead.

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yeh having another pump running is a pain(plus the aqua lifters are noisy), I run the eshopps 900gph overflow with duel chambers, its way overrated for my tank but I wanted the duel sides so I didn't have to t off to the refuge. I am running a quiet one 2200 which I thought would be to underpowered for it but its worked great for a year.

1 person likes this.
  4. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yeah I don't any more crap drawing power for this lil ol tank..lol. That was a good idea getting that duel chamber pump.. cool.

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I have been having the same problem with the same overlow box, I have a quiet one 2200 for my return. All I did was unrestrict flow just a very small amount and it sweeps any bubble right out of it.

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

What do you mean by unrestrict the flow?

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

i have a ball valve on the output on my return pump, i just loosened it up a very small amount and it fixed the problem.

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yeah I'm already on "full speed ahead"

10. Lampshade

Lampshade Plankton

This is what i did, i took out the U of my drain even, this is quieter than i've heard any others. Just an air line like said:

[​IMG]

as you see, theres no vortex, so no gurgles.

I have the airline 1" below my overflow, and sticking into the 1" pipe halfway, so 1/2"

Pulling the hose in and out a bit will mess with the venturi effect, and you can change it to make it nearly silent.

It will draw air into your sump, so if your inlet to the sump is deep, it will bubble, but with more tinkering, thats now nearly silent too.

11. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I'm using an overflow box my tank isn't drilled. sweet mod though!

12. Thirtypack

Thirtypack Astrea Snail

Couple of days now and no more air in the tube for me. Have you tried it yet? It has solved the prob for me.