Air bubble in overflow u-tube.. DIY Fixes?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Aqualung, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Wow my head hurts

2. Click Here!

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Looks like lowering the oveflow box worked but a smaller u tubr is still in the works and on order.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I don't think that will work. The flow rate in the center will not change. You need to effectively make the center part area so the bubbles can't accumulate there with the higher flow.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yep! Lowering the overflow box increased the flow into the U-tube, no more bubbs. I]m ordering a 3/4" and 1" from the LFS.

6. Thirtypack

Thirtypack Astrea Snail

I used Jkat's idea and put a piece of 5/8" i.d. vinyl tubing thru the original 1-1/4" plastic u-tube. There is no bend in the vinyl, there is no more gurgle from the stand pipe, and most important there is no more air in the tube. I did not lower the intake box, because I like the water level in th dt where it is. Thanks Jkat!

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Cool good job.. does the water still run through the 1 1/4" or just the 5/8". Hmm will have to try this.. the 1/2" tubing could not keep up with my pump, and the 1" worked good except it flattened. Lowering the overflow helped a little, but I am still getting bubbles. What Eshopps box and pump do you have... also size of DT and size of fuge.. lol.. thanks!

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

oop.. found pics of your tank.. nice fuge!

10. Thirtypack

Thirtypack Astrea Snail

The overflow is eshopps pf 300. The return pump is a quiet one 1200, I wanted a low flow thru the fuge. Tank is 29g and sump is 10g. The water only goes thru the vinyl tubing, I pushed it thru the original plastic one so it would have the correct bend, and not push on the sides of the overflow box. It definately did the trick.

11. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Cool Thirty! GOnna try when I gets home from work.. I have the same overflow, my pump is more powerful though. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna use the sand/heat method, and make my own

12. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

my eshop uses a 1 1/4 also but the bubbles just zip through the tube. There is also another mod you can do:

on the u tube drill a small hole in the very top of the bend, insert a small 1/2 inch long non flexible air line tube, cement it into the hole(you want it so it is flush with the tube)
    then hook a aqua lifter pump up to it. I haven't done this myself but I have heard of others doing it.