Air bubble in overflow u-tube.. DIY Fixes?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Aqualung, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

The smaller U-tube definately worked good. Just some issues. I believe the Eshopp's stock U-tube is 1 1/4". First I tried a 1/2" (which I thought was 5/8"). It worked well, as I watched any bubbles zip thru the tube, yess! The only problem was the water level in the DT rose to the rim's plastic lip.. umm no! Next I tried a 3/4", which also worked like a charm. The water level stayed where it should. The only problem is the 3/4" tubing has no elasticity! Whe the tube bends, it narrows or flattens a little, which I don't see a problem, but because of the elasticity, it was pushing outwarrds on the overflow box (which wsa slanting), and I was afraid of the acrylic cracking, and the box coming undone and a flood. I'm at work right now and I am bending the tube with rubberbands, so I can get it permanently bent. Then I will use this tube and also try lowering the box.

2. Click Here!

3. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Oh and I may try 5/8" also since it's more bendable like the 1/2". Maybe the tiny difference in size will work better.

4. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

no to sure if this would work or maybe you have tried it already.but take the 3/4 flex hose and push it through the plastic U tube and maybe it will hold it in place better...dont know just something I would try..good luck..

1 person likes this.
  5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

HA! I was thinking about that! Was thinking about also using the original U-tube, and puting smaller PVC pieces inside each end to see if it would increase the flow. Hey I'll try anything!

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

So your using flex tubing? Doesn't sound like a good idea long term. All of the flex tube I've ever used goes flat when you try to bend it. I gotta go home and measure my you tube, maybe I can downgrade a 1/4" or something to make the water pour through faster.

J-tube vs. Contin. Siphon overflow - Saltwaterfish.com Message Boards

1 person likes this.
  7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Awesome thanks for the link! Calling my LFS now to find an acrylic u tube. If not I'll try the sand trick to bend one.

8. Click Here!

9. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

1/4"? Do you mean 3/4?

10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Just found this link if you try and bend your own pvc..(if it dosnt play,click on the right side diy pvc bend)
    Reef Videos

11. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I was under the impression that my u tube was 1 and 3/4 " wide.....but that sounds quite large. I bought my overflow used and it was said to pull 600gph. I don't know the standard sizes of u tubes that are commonly sold, but I think it it was a quarter inch smaller, it might do the trick. Maybe a one incher could handle it too. I guess I will have to play with it. I actually bought a new one from my LFS for $2. It was 2 inches, so slightly bigger. I was thinking that the wider, the faster, but it is just the opposite. So now I have an extra 2"er. I believe my overflow is 1 3/4". But I would have to measure.

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

I know mine is 1 1/4". My LFS said they have a 1" (will find out after work), but they seem to all be a standard 1 1/4". The 3/4" tubing is holding it's form (rubberband..lol), and it doesn't seem that flattened at the arc (just wider and flatter.. seems to have plenty of pass thru).. so I am gonna try it. Also gonna pick up 1" flex tubing and try that.