Air bubble in overflow u-tube.. DIY Fixes?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Aqualung, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'd say at least 2-3 inches if possible.

2. Click Here!

3. Thirtypack

Thirtypack Astrea Snail

I am having the same exact problem with my eshopps. I dont really want to run a stronger pump, because I like the flow comin thru the fuge the way it is. I may have to find a smaller u tube somewhere, and see if that works. Hmmmm?

4. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

pgreef is right on the money,
    it all has to do with flow, a smaller over flow pipe or a larger pump will fix this,
    i have bin running hob over flows for over 25 years and have never had this problem, that is why it is important to match the pump to the over flow rate buy either pump size or a valve if the pump is to big or yes a smaller over flow tube.

5. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Ha I did match the pump with the overflow rate.. Have a rio 8fh.. but I added a chiller so I'm sure that slowed it down a bit. I see how more flow from the pump would make the overflow box drain faster thus pushing those pesky airbubble through! Ok well smaller u-tube it is. Any thoughts on a good design? I have 1" clear tubing.. gonna try that. What about the stand pipe. Is it better to have a thinner pipe or a wider pipe. I'd imagine the thinner would be better?

6. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I spent 4 years dealing with air bubbles and other annoyances related to my U-tubes and overflow boxes before I got the ultimate solution... a drilled tank. Once you get one you'll never use overflow boxes again.

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Yeaa.. next tank.. or tanks.. will be drilled and side by side like yours.. lol

8. Click Here!

9. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

The stand pipe should be as large as possible. If it is too narrow it will reduce the flow and cause problems. Make sure your standpipe isn't too tall. Make sure it is lower than the wall in the overflow otherwise the standpipe will be setting the level in the overflow which is not what you want. The level in the tank should be a couple inches higher than the overflow wall. Adjust the portion that is in the tank higher if necessary.

Ever since I upgraded my pump I haven't had a bubble issue. Before I did I would come home from work once in a while to find my center brace under water because the overflow tube had filled with bubbles and reduced the flow.

10. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Have you tried adjusting the overflow level down into the tank more,this will raise the water level in the overflow and you will have less bubbles because the dt water doesn't have as far to fall into the overflow.Also make sure you have as much water in your system as you can get without it overflowing when the pump goes off. These two things have fixed my same problems many times...after alot of head scratching :).

1 person likes this.
  11. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Sounds like a smaller u tube is the best option and it makes the most sense. I'll be tagging along because I am dealing with this same issue and my temp fix with airline tubing going down to the sump is just a disaster waiting to happen. Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Cool I will try this after work.. I have the overflow box all the way up, because I like the level of the water.. but it's worth a shot! thanks! k+