Aiptasia issue

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rcflyer1388, Jan 10, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have used the Aiptasia-X with some success. Multiple applications needed sometimes.
    I have used Berghia and they do work but noticed your comment to bad... Could have used a couple more but they are doing a good job no question.

I had also read where someone was using the holdfast for corals.. so I just deployed this tactic a couple days ago. The nice thing about this is you can cover and press it into the cracks they hide in. I covered 1 for 2 days and peeled it off and Aiptasia gone.

Persistence is the key..

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree with persistence. However, it is one of the most annoying pests out there. Wish some of our coral are this hardy to survive almost anything you throw at it. Especially the SPS.

cody3819 likes this.
  4. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I know I'm stating the obvious, but this is why I stay on top of it..... If I see one I treat. But you are right they are very hardy.

5. rcflyer1388

I agree 100% with that. Mine would've been a lot less if it was caught earlier. It was crazy. My tank was clean after killing two I saw on a plug. Then after coming back 3 weeks later from a work trip I had them everywhere.

cody3819 likes this.
  6. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

They spread very fast as you now know. Just take this as a learning curve and drive on brother.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I recently had a few, and mixed up a thick Kalc/ro water mixture, and covered them with it- it worked!
    It leaves a precipitate all over the base of it- I think that's what actually kills it.

I make my mixture likde 50/50, or even thicker, and use a dropper like one that comes with the refractometers.

Keep at it

8. Click Here!

9. rcflyer1388

I was doing that, but I can't do too much at a time since it spikes the PH. Maybe I'll try it even thicker of a mix where it doesn't even mix with the water. Just cements in there.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

prevention is your best bet, this being said at the very start of my adventure in this hobby I had good luck with lemon juice on the smaller specimens, form there i moved to peppermint shrimp (can be a gamble as they may or may not take to eating them, and here too the larger ones are ignored) to finally getting a CBB, (seen in my profile pic) a very delicate fish but a beautiful addition if you are able to keep him... the CBB will decimate the apitasia before then have a chance to grow. least mine does... careful as it will limit your future choice of live stock

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I use a very small amount right on it, and have a 320g system- I don't worry about any minor changes.
    I forgot your system size, but I would think a small think application with a dropper/syringe right on it shouldn't change much?

12. rcflyer1388

Mine is a drop in the bucket compared to yours. Lol...when I do a syringe full treatment (10ml) it bumps my PH by about .15. And when I do the treatments I shut off all dosing for a day of cal/alk. Made that mistake once of leaving it on and I look one day at my tank, coral didn't look "right" like I know them to glow. I checked alk and it went up to 10 from the 8-8.3 range I keep it. And calcium climbed to 490ppm.

cody3819 likes this.