Aiptasia, how careful are you?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Corailline, Jun 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you have Aiptasia?

1. Nope

44.4%
  2. Yes a few.

44.4%
  3. Yes it's become an issue.

11.1%
  1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I am not sure who to give credit to, or where I read it but someone mentioned using the epoxy putty(whoever you are thanks). I have been putting epoxy putty on them when they pop up. Leave it there for couple weeks and remove. No Aiptasia to be seen. I am not infested and not suggesting you cover your tank in that stuff. 1 or 2 I am ok with using paste.

If you are infested, the Berghias do work well. I found they did a better job in my low flow tank but there is no question they work. 1 suggestion I would have is if you can afford it get more than suggested. They are small buggers. You will notice the Aiptasia slowly just disappear. I was amazed at how well they worked. I just did not get enough for the amount of Aiptasia I had(think I only got 5 per tank..tanks only 30gl and not infested). The Berghias got it down to where I can manage the 1 or 2 I see pop up. Not sure any Berghias are left after a few months. Shoot they basically disappeared into rock work within minutes.

2. Click Here!

3. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I get one every month or so. Not sure where they are coming from but all I do right now is fish them out with a net.

4. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

I went that route a few times - spent a lot of money with out great results.

5. Anldyxp

Anldyxp Skunk Shrimp

I hear ya. That's why I just kind of accepted the outbreak for so long. I could have easily spent $100 just for a few Berghias+shipping. I lucked out and found a local on craigslist selling them for 5 bucks a pop. The little guys did the trick though.

6. kim

kim Astrea Snail

Actually I agree with Vinnie .I had one in my mantis tank that I started feeding. Had to be the worlds biggest Aiptasia . LOL But with just a Peacock mantis for company it couldn't hurt anything. Never had any more appear tho. Mabey just lucky.

7. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

Planning for six line wrasse will they be effective

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

For aptasia? No.They are extremely mean though.

DSC reef likes this.