Aiptasia, how careful are you?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Corailline, Jun 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you have Aiptasia?

1. Nope

44.4%
  2. Yes a few.

44.4%
  3. Yes it's become an issue.

11.1%
  1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I was answering your question.And yes I I have no aptasia.:)

Billme, DSC reef and Corailline like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

A few moons ago I had a real pretty Majano (green center). I smashed it real good with my thumb and months later there was a HUGE colony of them.It was in a FOWLR and I thought they looked cool so I just left them.Majano's don't seem to be present as often on gulf rock
    I have started tanks with Aptasia/Majano's many times and never had a real problem keeping them under control or completely eradicating them without the use of nudi's but there are a few do's and don'ts for sure.

I have used Joe's Juice and Aptasia x with good results.
    1-Do not scrape poke or jab them.
    2-Be persistant and work on a few at a time.Several applications may be needed so be vigilant.If it looks to be extending its tentacles again.Blast it gently.
    3-Try to get some around the mouth area if posible as they will retract.Be sneaky.lol
    4-These anemones get a bad rap as far as spreading ime as i have had systems with fairly stable populations ;however if you adjust your rock scape frequently (i try not to) all it takes is you squishing and or ripping one to cause an outbreak.Obviously the more you start with the harder it will be to get rid of them.
    5-We know it is easier to be picky about your rocks/corals but nature finds a way and sometimes anemones are the least of our problems.
    I suggest starting with very little lr to make your battles smaller and easier to conquer especially for newcomers who will have a hard time iding things.

dacianb, DSC reef, Billme and 2 others like this.
  4. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Very nice summary, Vinny.

I will say to the don't poke them. The aiptasia-x is suppose to entice them to ingest the treatment. Thus killing them from inside out.

I believe that is the key when injecting, no poking or squashing

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Boy, I guess I struck the wrong cord. I agree with Vinnys post. I suppose in a sense thats what I was trying to say, he just said it way better.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

civic it's fine, I value your input, glad you posted.

I have done the "oh it's only one or two aiptasia, no biggy" routine countless times.

Not every tank I have owned experienced aiptasia but that tanks that did and were treated were never completely pest anemone free again.

And yeah I might be a bit paranoid now, I just do not want to go down that road again. Aiptasia probably bug me more then most hobbyist.

;)

7. Vinnyboombatz

JM2C Just because we refer to them as pest anemone's they are still just corals with special needs.Haters.....:D:D:D:p:)

Billme and DSC reef like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

TY!The target is the mouth for sure.Even if you miss; meaning it retracts before you can squirt; it will still have to ingest water sooner or later. It will just not injest as much initially.

zesty likes this.
  10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Don't judge me Vinny.:p

They are ugly and the sting my beautiful corals, they must all die.:mad: Well if I find one.

Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not at all my friend. I apolagize if I came off rude

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Corailline, remember that big colony of tyree sunset montipora I had? It died within 2 weeks and it drove me nuts! There was a giant aptasia in the rock underneath the coral. Grrrr. I despise aptasia

Corailline likes this.