Aiptasia Emergency!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Meekel1, Feb 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Meekel1

Meekel1 Astrea Snail

Help!! I have a 54g corner bow, for a little while now i've been host to aiptasia not many but enough to keep me on the lookout. i have 2 pep shrimp but i don't thin they have much interest in them....this was going on for about a month...finally i got sick of waiting for nature to take care of them and decided to let Aiptasia X do the talking, this is where things went wrong, during the application process the aiptasia seemed to disapear just like the instructions read. however i was wrong, about 2-3 days later a fleet of aiptasia reappeared i tried X again and it got even worse. so now i'm in a panic fearing the worst so i ordered 7 pep shrimp and a copperband hoping that i can get rid of these things the natural way...the other problem i'm having is that i noticed them also growing in the overflow how am i supposed to get rid of them there??? or is that a good place for them to grow to supplement feeding the copperband??? any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Peppermint shrimp will eat any food you add to the tank before they will tackle aiptasia. If you are feeding daily and can cut back on the feeding for a couple of days I would start there. Also make sure you have peppermint shrimp and not camels shrimp, they look very much alike.

Good Luck.

4. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Wow you finally posted your problem. LOL. We discussed this weeks ago. ;) BTW you ordered 6 shrimps and one died so you have 5 and enjoying my QT tank. Poor little guy...

Anyways, others can chime in on this. As for the ones in your overflow you have 2 choices. One you can put a sock in the drain and scrub them. Two wait til you sell the house and when we break it down scrub it out with bleach or vinegar mix.

Sent from my HTC EVO using Tapatalk

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

my tank has some aptasia in it, i dont worry about it tho, just as long as they arent toughing coral they are no nuisance and once you try to rid your tank of them they grow worse, i just have 3 pretty big ones in my tank but they cause no harm and actually are pretty cool

6. ComputerJohn

I hear ya, my old 29gal had a few and they just disappeared. Meekel's 54gal is really bad. One of the worst ones I've seen.

7. ComputerJohn

Hey Mike, I could build the DIY Aiptasia zapper that someone posted on here.

8. Click Here!

9. Meekel1

Meekel1 Astrea Snail

DIY Aiptasia zapper?????

10. ComputerJohn

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If it's as bad as you are saying, why don't you add some Berghia nudibranchs?

12. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I have NEVER had an Aiptasia .. whats so horrible about them? do they effect your corals if they are near them