AI sol nano on a biocube

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SwimsWithFish, Jan 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

So as some of you know I'll be upgrading to LEDs in September. Today I was at the LFS and they were showing off this beautiful beast of a light, the AI nano. Woah. Thunderstorms, clouds, tons of colors! The question is, could i put it on a biocube? I don't want to get rid of my hood so could I just cut a large portion out of the hood and mount it like a foot above?

Thanks. I really think its worth the money.

2. Click Here!

3. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i dont think you could possibly keep the hood, it would be too close to the water and would not get much spread, meaning the middle of the tank would be as bright as the sun and the edgest would be fairly dark.

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

Just look at the ai sol dimensions and compare to the inside of the hood after you gut it completely. I was able to fit 3 panorama pro led modules inside the hood without any problems.

the ai sol looks so amazing, and the controller is super sleek. i asked them to make their controller compatible with more led modules - i wish i could have it work with my panorama pro's

5. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Wouldn't work. Go with a DIY kit, you can get controllers for them that can do all that and more.

6. SwimsWithFish

I know that it Gives a spotlight affect but if I were to remove almost all of the hood, would it work? I would remove most of the hood.

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

No you couldn't get it far enough from the water. Go DIY, cheaper more color options, and it will work for you hood, in fact there are kits on modularled.ca for biocubes and the kick ass

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Cool thanks! Any other good sites?

10. SwimsWithFish

Modularleds has a nice biocube retrofit.

Lol, what's a heatsink and driver?

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

lol. The heat-sink the the metal plate which you adhere the LEDs to (using thermal paste). The driver is like the 'ballast' of LEDs.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Rapid LED has the biocube dimmable retrofit kit for $135.

Biocube 14 Dimmable Retrofit Kit

You will need to buy a second driver if you want to independently adjust the whites/blues.