AI Hydra 52

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jborlace, Feb 8, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I think if I go with the 52 I'll get the director so I can adjust it from my iPhone even if I'm not home. And I already have my evergrow fixture hanging so the 52 can go right in its place. Thanks for the help.

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jborlace

Do you use the controller or the director to control your hydra ? Was wondering if the director saved the settings when the power goes off ? I read where the controller didn't save the settings.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I use the controller and yes you are correct regarding the difference between the director and the controller. I really have no need for the director since I am home and work very close to home and almost never (unfortunately) leave town. The director would be a nice little toy but I am still working on the basics such as ATO.

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I just think for the amount of money you are going to spend on one hydra 52 with a director there's a lot of better options out there for u for around the same price. That will give you a better spread

I have the ai sol and I think the director is a fun toy but honestly after the first few months you are never going to use it. I have friends who bought it and it's like I said they messed around with it for a while then after a few months never touched it again

6. jborlace

You have to have either the director or the controller to control the lights. It may be something that I don't use often but you have to have it right ?

I'm open to all suggestions on what else is available that's comparable. Thanks.

7. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

Been a while since I have been on here, but I recently went through a similar decision. I replaced my reefbreeder lights on my 120, I went with hydra 26s over the 52 for better spread once the price dropped. I feel that unless you have a very deep tank it is better to go with more 26 fixtures over the 52. 2 26s cost $50 more than a 52, but it's worth it. According to AI when I asked them the 26s are driven higher so 2 of them are more powerful than a 52.

I would go with 2 26 with the director. I am very happy with my 26s, I have 4 of them over my 120. I could get by with 3, but I have a clam problem and they love the extra light.

8. Click Here!

9. jborlace

i needed up with one hydra 52. Loved it but it was to dark on the edges and always wanted to try Kessil so I recently traded it for a kessil a360we. Not sure about growth with the kessil yet but like the shimmer.

10. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

Oh dang, I didn't see how old that was before I replied! You pretty much found out the reason I suggested 2 26s, lol. Happy you found something you like and good luck!