Ahhhhhhh! real algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lukeoslavia, Aug 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have two Koralia 450 nanos, plus another 265 GPH from return pumps in my 28 nano cube (so around 1150 GPH total), and all of the fish do just fine with this. In other words, don't worry about too much flow for the fish :) I would say a powerhead around 500 GPH would be appropriate. I would go with a Koralia Evo personally.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I forgot to mention that Lawnmower Blennies can be very tough to get eating prepared foods. I had one starve in my 55 after it ate all of the hair algae. If you do want to get an algae eater eventually, I would recommend a smaller omnivore such as a Tailspot Blenny.

1 person likes this.
  4. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

Ok so I have the two on the side facing and should have a 500 GPH powerhead on back as well correct? or should the 500 and 230 be facing ?This is the current set up.

[​IMG]

5. lukeoslavia

sorry for the 500 questions I just debate every move in my head too much anyway since it is a bit unsightly would it be okay to scrape the front glass or should I leave all of it alone and just wait it out ?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can scrape the front glass no problem. Tank looks good.

Are far as the PH position goes, personally I do not point them directly at each other, rather I try to get a current in circular pattern going but that is just me. I like a lot of current at the top and around the bottom if possible. Surface agitation is important to me.

7. lukeoslavia

I will get a new power head tomorrow and after I put in a couple snails and Hermits I will show you the new setup. I think ill try for a bit more circular motion and see how it looks but I do kind of like the way the algae flaps around like its actually in the ocean. They are only setup that way cause the guy at the LFS said it is random and that's supposedly good lol If you didn't notice im running off of advice and learning as quickly as possible.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're doing fine. It's a slow and steady hobby.

Just keep asking questions and getting as many relevant opinions are you can but take everything with a grain of salt, it's really hard to shift through all the opinions and advice sometimes.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Cleaning glass is a necessity of all tanks; don't fret that.

11. lukeoslavia

Ok so I'm about to change one of my power heads over to the circulation pump and it will be at 500 GPH. I am going to add in a skimmer later but I have to order it from marine depot.
    I was wondering where I should place the pump, it is pretty powerful and I assume I should move my 230 power head as well any suggestion on the position I should go for, I'm going to try a circular flow.

12. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

Off the water flow topic a bit but wanted to mention the tank looks great. Love your rock work.