Ahhhhhhh! real algae!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by lukeoslavia, Aug 21, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lukeoslavia

lukeoslavia Flamingo Tongue

Now that I have your attention... I have quite a bit more white hair algae all over my rocks and glass and some brownish green algae as well. I was thinking of adding 1 lawnmower blenny and a couple of snails and hermits (I do mean 2 of each) tomorrow. Are these good to start with and what kind of snails should I get ? I don't want to go crazy adding stuff in all at once so I would also like to know if you think this is too much to add all at once.
    Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance!

Current stock:
    Ocellaris pair
    1x yellowtail damsel
    3x blue hermits
    1x peppermint shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

A picture to ID the algae is really needed before suggestions for action can be made. What you describe as "white hair algae" might not be algae at all.

4. lukeoslavia

Its kind of hard to get a pic of it but its the white specs on the glass what else could it be?
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Couple things.
    1,)From your other posts you started this tank at the beginning of this month?
    2,) no sump, and your only using a tetra hob filter?
    3,) and do you still only have 700 gph of movement in your 37g or did you add more power heads?

6. lukeoslavia

1. Just before the beginning of the month, cycle has completed I had a slight algae bloom after the ammonia, then nitrite, and then nitrate spiked, or so I thought but am becoming worried by your question lol

2.No sump just the filter still, was going to add a skimmer but was told not to do so unless I get more corals.

3. Not 700 GPH anymore. I have the 200 GPH from the filter, a 110 GPH power head facing a 230 GPH powerhead. So total GPH is 540.

7. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

Just a guess but possibly a high silica level causing your concerns. New tank with high silica and nitrates may cause blooms like you are experiencing. If so it may cycle out once the tank becomes more established. I had something similar in my tank when first set up. Almost looked like white fuzzy mold but went away in time.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In my opinion the best thing your could do the the tank is let it age for a couple more months.

You're experiencing the common phases that new tanks go through while stabilizing.

As always check you water source for elevated phosphates and avoid introducing excessive nutrients to the tank.

Getting a Lawn Mower Blenny would be a big mistake at this points in my opinion.

You could add more flow for sure.

You're tank is just barely if even cycled, diatoms and algae blooms can be expected.

10. lukeoslavia

a couple of my rocks are that exactly, FUZZY, my little hermits have spent their entire first week on those rocks and seem like what they are picking away at , which is why I assumed hair algae. The nitrates seem like they are dropping off just fine though couldn't say with the silica. I did just get a bunch of RO water though so it will now be my top off water!

11. lukeoslavia

I still have a few of the tube looking diatoms still on the bottom but most went away already.

I will definitely hold off on the blenny, they are so epic though it will be hard, and just add some CuC very slowly. Also, your advice has been spectacular so far so ill stick with ya (you need 2 karma buttons) !

In terms of the flow, I had one of the power heads running as a circulation pump at 500 GPH and it seemed like my fish hated its guts so should I try another power head on the back glass and if so how much of a flow rate?

1 person likes this.
  12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator