AHH! Tank leaking!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tooconceited, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

yeah that's what I was thinking. So just cut out the old silicon on the bottom do that, then do the corners, then the sides? What's the best step by step method? Do I have to buy the expensive aquarium silicon or is there one I can buy in a big tube that works well. The silicon is black now and I think looks good.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Hope its not to late but the silicone you see in the corners of the tank have nothing to do with a leaking problem or repair.. The only part of the silicone that stops leaks and holds the tanks together is the very edges you can see when you look through where the panes make right angles to one another.

I'd clean the inside of the top rim and a seal that . Like I told someone the other week is the corners will sometimes wick water to weep as thats where the water currents will meet and push up to the rim.. and seems the rims are never really siliconed well. Good luck

4. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I don know i fixed a hex front flat back 29 gal tank about a year ago and the 3 panels that make up the front dont even touch one another the gap was big enough to pass a nail file through cut all the silicone out and resealed it and have never had another drop of water leak. :confused:

5. eggerstout

eggerstout Skunk Shrimp

If it were me, I would upgrade, but thats just me, good luck on whatever you choose to do

6. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I agree with the upgrade idea but I don't wanna spend more money right now.
    Tangster the leak is coming out of the bottom corner. I'm not sure if you got that.
    Anybody have a recommendation on sillicon to use? I'm gonna clean up the tank today and do it. Then just fill it in on the back patio with freshwater and see what happens.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

use a razor blade to cut away all the silicone in the area around the leak, wipe with alcohol, then re-silicone with aquarium type bought at home depot.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Aquarium type is just 100% silicone with NO ADDITIVES. No antifungles, no nothin'. Home Depot is a great place to get it. Or you can pay three times as much for the same thing at the LFS.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Congrats on the new house man. That is a very cool thing.