AHH! Tank leaking!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tooconceited, Sep 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

Well we just bought a new house and have spent the last 4 days painting and patching the house. Today I went to move my 72G bowfront and noticed a tiny bit of water coming out of the back corner. It seems like the leak is below the plastic cover and just kinda weeps out of the corner. I'm not sure where exactly the leak is. I want to get this tank set back up. My entire tank is in a 29G that I had extra. How do I fix it? Silicon just that corner? Tear up the whole bottom edge or silicon all the way around and completely redo? Thanks for help
    -erik

2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Do you see any cracks?

4. GitsieLouWho

GitsieLouWho Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Is it on the top or bottom of the tank?

5. tulare reef

tulare reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

you can not just do part of it silicon will not stick to its self after part of it is dry so you must remove all and redo all seams at once

6. tooconceited

I don't see any cracks. It's on the bottom of the tank. There is no visible leaking from any of the corners, but it comes up from below the black plastic rim that covers the bottom of the tank. It only comes out in one corner. It's not even a drip every 10 seconds.

7. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

you'd have to reseal the entire bottom edge and anything touching that which is pretty much the entire tank, might be time for an upgrade

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Hey dude, I just got through with the tank leaking thing and was lucky it was at the very top. It took me three patch jobs to get it right. With the bottom, you may be required to do resilicone the entire thing. I would. Wait for more posts as I have very little experience with this, but that would seem to be the thing to do especially given the site of the leak.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

That's a good point. I almost upgraded. Was a little disappointed that I fixed the problem.::)

11. tooconceited

Yeah I wouldn't mind upgrading but buying a new house isn't really conducive to increasing my hobby budget.

12. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

I would cut out all the old silicone and reseal the hole tank, I never had very good luck with just doing a patch job, most of the time it just ends up leaking some other place. :(