AGA 10 gallon w/ false wall -- suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by epicfish, Mar 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epicfish

epicfish Plankton

This is my plan:

1. AGA 10 gallon
    2. False back with 3 compartments:
    a. Chaeto/LR rubble
    b. Filter floss, sponges, media (if required)
    c. Maxi-Jet 900 (or Maxi-Jet 1200) Pump
    3. Finnex 3x36w fixture with: 1x 10,000K, 1x 50/50, 1x 420nm/460nm bulbs
    4. 20-30 pounds of live rock
    5. 20 pounds of live sand
    6. Zoos, palys, softies

Here's the design for the false back. The dimesions of a 10 gallon AGA are: 20"x10"x12" (LWH)

Click the pictures for larger pictures.

Front of the tank:
    [​IMG]

Back of the tank:
    [​IMG]

False back:
    [​IMG]

What does everyone think of my plan so far?

2. Click Here!

3. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

With the partition, and that much rock, will there be any room left for water?
    I know I'm old, but I just don't get the fascination with the "nano" thing. Anything less than 45 gallons is too small for a saltwater tank. Just my opinion of course.

4. epicfish

epicfish Plankton

Maybe a bit less rock then. =P

But I'm on a budget, so I can't go for a 45 gallon drilled tank with overflow, sump, Kalk reactor, Ca reactor...etc. Just a simple tank full of zoos and palys. =)

5. JediReefer

JediReefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Might as well just get a nano cube hehe...

6. epicfish

epicfish Plankton

I want more lighting than what a nano cube can provide.

A regular NC12 has 24 watts ($120) and a NC12 Deluxe has 48 watts ($170). An AquaPod has only 54 watts of stock lighting. What I'm aiming for is double that.

So if you take an nano tank and add in the money for a retrofit to get 108 watts of lighting, it's much more than this AGA 10 setup.

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What are you trying to accomplish here a refugium only ? Or are you going to try and make a small tank and a refugium all in one with the slammer back portion being the refugium ? If thats the case then a simple air lift tube from the tank side and that will flow out the other end of the rear refugium section all the grates and baffles to me ate totally unnecessary with a fuge there is little need fr mechanical filtration at all But you can make a small area to place a few spoons of carbon under the airlift tube .. Just reverse and reduce the size of the box that looks to be on the outlet of you plan and have it on the inlet side. Also the airlift will really increase the dissolve 0'2 of the smaller tank and less heat and cost then from a powerhead pump

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. Click Here!

9. epicfish

epicfish Plankton

So you're saying I don't need the grates on the acrylic? I was planning to get some sort of a skimmer action with it to remove surface scum.

And even if there is no mechanical filtration, I plan to put chaeto/LR rubble in the first chamber and then have the option to use a bag of carbon, chemipure, purigen, etc... in the second chamber, and then have a pump sitting in the third chamber. Would that be more beneficial than just an airlift tube?