After 6 months of fighting it I'm starting over

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It's your decision, I would just put the DI on and see where the water is at. Boy I can tell you need the OT being at work on Saturday at 6:00 am :p

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I'll probably just do the DI chamber. I'm really contemplating not tearing my tank down. I took the rocks out that had byprosis on them and the hair algae is all but gone. I'm getting some cyno where the hair algae was but it comes out pretty easy and doesn't seem to come back.

I swear it all had to do with getting my levels up (well that and running enough rowa phos to suck the po4 leaching life out of the rocks). Calcium is still a little low but it's at 400.

I'm thinking about just nuking the rock and letting the tank run to see how it does. If I get close to the time (say 2 weeks) when I'll be adding the rock back in and the tank still has algae I'll nuke it to since it doesn't take as long for the tank.

Only bad thing about that is it will be hard to drill with water in it unless I get all Chuck Norris on it like you said and drill it full.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Can't you add a DI to your existing RO unit Kogle?

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You can drill it while it's full? Wow, gonna hafta fill me in on this one!
    Might not have "someone" pitching in here soon if I decide to buy one:p. Probably all talk and no action, we'll have to see! Next time we go to PA keep this in mind: Inline TDS Monitor: Premium Aquatics= If I get my own RO/DI I'm just going to figure it in my total cost and buy it all at once.

6. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

Use some Levamisole pig wormer for 18.00 and get rid of the flatworms this beats flatworm exit hands down and is much cheaper one bottle will do 3000 gallons + of saltwater. I just got done doing mine and I havent seen a flatworm anywhere It takes alot of vacumning and a big water change but man was it worth it. .4grams for 25 gallons of water. and stand back cause you didnt know you had as many that will all of a sudden pop out of nowhere.

7. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

By the way I would not drill it with water in it they seem to always break on me that way. tried it twice with no luck.

8. Click Here!

9. bawest

bawest Fire Worm

Really Pig wormer? Ogle, you should be able to get that at Rural King.

I still feel bad about the rock, but if you're going to nuke the rock, you gotta do something with the sand too right? I think sand is the root of all evil. It traps everything. How old is your sand and how deep is it? How much gunk is in it?

Can the rock still be leaching phosphate after almost a year? Are you getting readings on phosphates in the tank or water source?

Like you said earlier..... you get a chance to start over completely without the expense. I kind of like the idea. You would have a nice sterile environment to start everything and you can take some of the nuked rock to Scott to seed it. (just an idea..... and Scott don't get offended about the sterile comment)

If you don't have anything growing that you want to keep, nuke it and start new. But if I had it to over again, I'd do it without sand.

Just my 2 cents which are really only worth a penny.