After 6 months of fighting it I'm starting over

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Also Tangster wrote that Kogle could dump bleach in the entire system, would taking out livestock, then leaving the rock and sand in there work? Treat the entire system like your nuking rock... run bleach for a couple days, freshwater soak for a couple days, baking soda soak a couple days, then let it all dry out?? This would make sure that ALL algae spores in ANY part of the tank would die. Pretty hardcore, but couldn't it be done?
    It is going to be a hardcore process no matter what is done.

2. Click Here!

3. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

My first SW tank was a mess. algae non stop. I even stopped feeding the tank. NOthing helped. The bottom of the tank broke one morning and I tore the whole thing down. I've started over in a new tank and I have NEVER regretted it. It was the best thing to ever happen. My new setup was a dream. I don't know what I did diffrently exactly but it's been awesome ever since...

Sometimes starting a fresh is the greatest thing you can do.

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I'd say I'm going to need to take the rock out just to make sure I get all my shrimp, snails, and starfish...

1 person likes this.
  5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I am replying to your thread for two reasons. I have read most of your posts and know that you live close to Otty and I was hoping for a better outcome. and Also because I have had my tank for about 5 years now and in the last six months I contracted some hair and bubble algae. And it happened at a time when I just couldn't spend the time needed to get it under control. So, I am ready to do the same thing you have planned. Move all the live stock over to a 55 and then bleach the Heck out of everything!
    Good luck to you and I'll be following this thread to see what happens.

Jim

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Jim my suggestion to you before you tear down the tank would be to find the source of your problem. I'd hate to see you go through tearing the tank down and have the same problem in another 6 months. After testing my RO water with a TDS meter it seems that is the problem. It tested at 8 and it should be zero if the RO is functioning like it should.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

The only way to get that to 0 is to add a DI to your RO unit.

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Does it need to be zero? What is the acceptable range? Otty I know you told me you changed your filters when yours hit 10...

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I waited until it got to almost 10 and changed it out this last time and I got spots of Cyano on the sand too. I cleaned my inline probes and changed the DI unit. Heck you got someone else paying you half for your filters to use your water so you can't say you don't have the money. ;) I'm gonna have to start charging him, he came and got 10g the other night. :p

This is even a 3reef sponsor.
    Vertical Color Changing DI Adder Kit

12. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

thanks for the link. 44 bucks for that and 90 to replace the filters in my current RO or...... spend 110 plus shipping and get a new RO/DI unit.

Hmm.....