AEFW and Red Bugs

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by YellowBelly, Jul 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

I am yet to try it but I have heard lots of good things from it. I'll have to add a bottle to it with the next dry good order.

Yep, I make sure that the corals that go into the sps only system have been through my qt process and I thoroughly inspect the corals for any signs of pest before placing them in the sps only system. I have actually tried the wild caught acros before with very little success.

2. Click Here!

3. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

My comment was intended for yellow belly... he had tons of sps listed in the classifieds.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Oh yeah i remember that, i researched a couple of his pieces and ran into his blog talking about it lol.

5. tatted4ever

I originally saw it in his blog also. Thats why I did not purchase any.

6. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Yes, and they were treated accordingly. All frags were dipped before departure. Only the three Tri-Colors had AEFW and the Red Bugs have been gone since my first treatment in May. My corals grow like weeds so the bugs weren't affecting my corals enough to notice without further inspection. Sanjay and ReefBum also have AEFW's and have beautiful colonies but deal with them by weekly blasts with a turkey baster. There are lots of TOTM quality tanks that are able to deal with these pests without tearing apart a reef. If you wanted to buy from me you should've quarantined the corals like you would normally if you purchased from anyone else. I'm not sure why I should've been treated any differently. I only purchased my corals from a select few reefers so I know exactly who I got the bugs from. I didn't have the space to set up a QT when I started so I always inspected the corals before placing them into the tank. I ran the tank for three years without seeing a pest. Ever since the first bug incident I have invested in a QT. I still think I have some of the nicest corals available and will be starting a tank rebuild in December because the corals have grown to the point where their bases are touching one another.

7. tatted4ever

This is true on the quarintine....

But no one wants to deal with treating frags for any pest. would be nice to know this ahead of time.

Just for example.... If a lady has an std.... would be good to know to wear a condom before intercourse. Knowing that this person has an std before hand, that person wouldnt risk it even with a condom on.... at least I know I wouldnt risk it.

I would advertise that when listing your frags.....

Just my opinion. dont take it that Im bashing you. Cause you definitely know what your doing with the kind of tank you have.

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Like tatted4ever said, I think the issue is just with disclosure, since you have the knowledge that the pests are definitely in your tank.

10. ingtar_shinowa

Pests are tough, but I agree alot of people are going to have small numbers and not know it. No matter where i get a frag from I check it out and make sure for myself anyway. I also dont have a QT tank set up for the same reason, and I know im just asking for trouble lol.

For what its worth, CoralRX is what I use for dipping, and I've found it catches everything (probably not eggs obviously) and my corals don't brown out after use. I also tend to dip for quite a while and the water cools down which would add stress, still no browning. I really like it and would recommend it as well.

11. tatted4ever

It smells good too :)

12. ingtar_shinowa

lol tatted i think so too, but i feel weird about it!