AEFW (Acro Eating Flat Worms) Start of Quaratine :(

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Otty, Aug 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well I thought I would never need a quarantine but after this there will never be ANYTHING go in my tank again until it has been quarantined. Took the recipe that Melevsreef.com - AEFW | Acropora Eating Flatworms talks about on his web sight and got all hard corals out of the tank. I don't ever want to do this again. I will continue to dip every week for 8 weeks to allow all the eggs in the display tank to hatch and die while everything stays in the Q-tank. I put a wet/dry and a 250 MH over it to hopefully keep the color if they make it. I attached a picture of the green staghorn they started eating on. It had turned brown and was slimming all the time, glad I had the time to start the tank now because I don't know how much more time it would have made it.
    I would never wish this on my worst enemies, well maybe one or two...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Kill `em all and let God sort `em out :) We're about ready to set up a coral quarantine tank ourselves and it too will be our first ever q-tank. Hard to believe that frag swapping could do more harm than good aye :(

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I can't really believe how fast it took over the tank. Those frags were about 5 to 6 feet from each other. Those little bast**ds can move fast.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Considering they only have one "foot," yeah, they do. ;D Does Melev's Reef say how long your main tank should be without corals to ensure that you're 100% rid of these pests?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Otty did you try the dog meds we gave you ? Not sure how it works just courious as to how it kills them off . Yes I brought that little Nano Cube home that was on the little ladder at the shop not sure you saw that ? But thats going to be what we use I need to build a light system for it as the crap that was in the top lasted almsot a yr LOL they suck on that design..

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I used the Interceptor and Fluke Tabs for a 1 hour dip. I know I had the AEFW but was unsure if I had the Red Bugs so since they were going into quarantine I just dipped for both. I will keep an eye on them and dip again next sunday. I believe I am going to loose a couple of the frags but it is better then loosing them all. I have a set of bone cutters that I will try and save what I can. Thanks for the drugs Tangster.....;)
    Did I forget to mention that saltwater is fun...:-/

8. Click Here!

9. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Yea you fogot to metion that Otty... ;D

At least you don't have more green stuff (hair algea) growing in your tank than in your yard....

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Yea that rock is going to be the gift that keeps on giving...should of nuked it..;)

11. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Wow, I thought I had problems! What did you put into your tank? A piece of live rock or a frag or both...Where did you get them from?

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I got them from the local frag swap or one of the buddies I trade with. Probably the latter one because I seen his tank yesterday and his acros are looking bad. Nothing you can do about it except learn a lesson and always quarantine.