Advice Please?????? Low PH and High KH

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by johnc101, Jan 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

Checked my parameters multiple times and my ph is low all the time. Im thinking of 2 part dosing.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.................

ph 7.6-7.8

nitrate 0-5

nitirite 0

phosphate 0

calcium 460

KH (alkalinity) 161

Checked these multiple times, and ph corresponds with my apex probe read out.

If im not mistaken I need to lower my kh which will then raise my ph CORRECT?

I really dont like to use the buffer but does anyone recommend a certain buffer safer than the others. Thankssssss

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

yes that is true, have you been dripping kalk with vinegar?? i would hold off on dosing untill you get this under control..what salt are you using, and have you changed salt brands lately

how you have a kh of 161 with anything living..

4. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Your numbers aren't bad. The ph and dkh are at the low end of the acceptable range.

You could add a little dkh buffer to bring them up if you wanted.
    KH 161 = dkh 9

5. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

thanks, I will go out now and buy somemore dkh buffer

I use Tropical Marine Pro Reef salt

6. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Raise the alkalinity slowly with the buffer. Try to only raise it about 1 point dkh per day at the most. I wouldn't raise it higher than 11 dkh. If you find yourself adding it to maintain alkalinity often. Than look into dosing a 2 part or Kalk.

I've been using Kent Superbuffer-dkh to raise alkalinity and Kalk to maintain the level.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You don't raise PH by adding alk... you raise PH by finding out what is causing your low PH. My guess is it's CO2 and your house is closed up for the Winter and you have no air exchange.

You Alk is acceptable where it is at. You can use soda ash if you are not using it for alk and that will raise PH.

What are you using now for Alk?

8. Click Here!

9. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

powerman

Im currently not using anything for alk, just normal water changes with my Tropical Marine Pro Reef Salt mix, I have been using this buffer that I had a guy come an help us during my tank gettting ich and he noticed my low ph, he gave us a big ziplock bag of it and we dosed when we noticed it was low but I have not used it since my 120 gallon has been up and running now for over 6 months. Havent had any real issues accept for the low ph. Since it was at the lowest part of acceptable I lived with it but now that I am looking at getting more coral I know I need to stabilize it before I think of doing that.

clone farmer

will do............

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Most alk supplements are baking soda or soda ash. Soda ash will raise PH a bit. (Correct me someone if I have that wrong.) Anyway, some folks have low PH and will use soda ash. That will raise PH a bit. Buffer is exactly that.. a buffer... it resists change. So PH will stay more stable. Using a buffer is not a big deal and you should not be hesitant to use it.

However.... Alk is alk... carbonate that combines with calcium to form calium carbonate. If your alk is in a acceptable range, then don't add any more. Since you don't really have anything consuming it right now, your water changes have been enough to keep it there.

PH can be raised a bit by Alk... but PH is not alk. It is is only loosly tied. dose what ever you need to dose to have your alk where you want. If your PH is low you can change that a bit with what you use for Alk. But you can still use buffer and soda ash and still have low PH. You don't dose for PH.

PH is a complex thing and is effected by all sorts of things. One being CO2. I suspect you have poor air exchange and have high CO2 in your tank. That has a much bigger impact than alk.

Do you have a skimmer and is there any way you can draw outside air in for the skimmer?

11. johnc101

johnc101 Feather Duster

I actually do not have my skimmer up yet but was hoping to get it up this week, I just got a Apex unit and I am having problems with my eb8's. It is suppose to be plug and play but I get no power out of the outlets. I unplug it from the unit and I get power from only one outlet. Im a bit confused and nothing in the manual tells me I need to change a setting or do them individual in the software. I thought it was suppose to be plug and play. I will call support tomorrow when they are open to see what is going on.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Point your powerheads at the surface and air out the house that should boost your pH.