advice on what to do about my jack dempsey's aggression?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Tay, Nov 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tay

Tay Plankton

i have a 4 month old jack dempsey that lives with a small plec. theyve lived together for a month but lately everytime i look, he keeps it pinned up in one corner of the tank and if it comes out, he runs it back. ive only seen him nip its fins once. my mother (who owns a cichlid tank) suggested i buy a cat fish to divert his attention? would this even be a good idea? or does anyone have any advice? thank you so much:) -tay

btw: i do love my jack dempsey, hes an amazing fish and if it boiled down to it, im afraid id be forced to get rid of my plec rather than get rid of my jack :/

2. Click Here!

3. TSO33

TSO33 Plankton

There is a reason they are given the name "Jack Dempsey," Google the name.
    They are mean as hell and very territorial, the only thing that worked for me in the past was to constantly move the rocks in the tank.

4. RJT

RJT Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Tay, how big is your tank? I had a jack with a plec, jewel, firemouth and they were okay in a 20g. The fish were around 2.5in

5. Tay

Tay Plankton

right now i have a 20 gallon. going bigger soon tho. i had to get rid of the baby plec and get a big one, this one is now about 5 inches and my jack dempsey still tries to kill it!! i lovvvvvee my jack, i researched him for a long time so i DO KNOW ABOUT THEIR AGGRESSION. like ive said, HE LIVES ALONE. but i need a pleco in there to keep things tidy..

6. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

You could switch to snails as your cuc :)